German Schnitzel Recipe (Jäger-Schnitzel)
This German schnitzel recipe is great if you have need of quick and easy dinner recipes that can be altered into various different meals. Schnitzel are really just thin cutlets and can be from veal, pork, chicken, or turkey. Pound the meat with a meat hammer, bread it and fry it. Wunderbar!
The Jäger-Schnitzel (Hunter's Schnitzel) can be fried with or without the breading before serving with a mushroom sauce.
German Schnitzel Recipe
- 4 veal cutlets, pounded lightly ... or use pork for Schweineschnitzel
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- about 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 egg
- about 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Trim fat from meat and clip edges to stop edges from curling during cooking.
- Sprinkle cutlets with lemon juice and salt.
- Place 3 shallow bowl on counter. In first one, put flour. In second one, mix egg and water. In third one, put breadcrumbs.
- Coat schnitzel, first with flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs.
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat in skillet.
- Fry cutlets until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lemon slices.
- If schnitzel are too big to all fit in the pan, just fry 2 at a time.
Once done, put finished schnitzel on a paper towel lined pan and place,
uncovered, in the oven to keep warm while frying remaining schnitzel.
- This German schnitzel recipe is often served garnished with anchovy fillets if desired.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp paprika
- thyme, salt, pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a skillet, brown bacon and onion in 1 tbsp butter.
- Add mushrooms and fry until tender.
- Add tomato paste, water, and white wine.
- Add paprika. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add parsley and sour cream. Stir. Serve over Schnitzel
So many ways to serve Schnitzel! Served plain with red cabbage and warm potato salad on the side. Wunderbar!
The original Wiener Schnitzel is thought to come from Vienna, Austria in the 1600's.This has to be made from veal and is controlled by law. If it's not made with veal, it must be labelled as coming from pork or chicken, etc.
Me? I love the pork schnitzel!
So Many Types of Schnitzel ...
There are many variations of this traditional meat throughout the world. In Germany, schnitzels come with many different toppings and sauces.
- Zigeuner-Schnitzel (Gypsy's Schnitzel) has a sauce with mushrooms, onions, red peppers, and tomatoes.
- Käse-Schnitzel (Cheese Schnitzel) has cheese melted on top.
- Paprika-Schnitzel has a tomato sauce with paprika and red peppers.
- Schnitzel Holstein is a breaded schnitzel with onions, capers, and a fried egg on top!
German Schnitzel Recipe Alternative?
Don't have any schnitzel at your butcher's?
I cheat by taking some nice thick boneless pork chops and butterflying them. Then I gently pound them to an even thinness.
More Recipes using Pork ...
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE chart ...
"Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen"
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of German Schnitzel Recipe
Words to the Wise
"The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions."
Proverbs 10:11 (NLT)