Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Looking for a cream of mushroom soup recipe that is quick and easy? Here, you'll find one way of how to cook mushrooms that makes a soup that is so delicious. It's made from scratch but really is easy. Dress it up with a swirl of cream, some raw mushroom slices and chopped parsley. Or, you could slightly fry some sliced mushrooms, if you prefer, and garnish with them.
Below, check Oma says to find a link to a soup that uses both fresh mushrooms and canned soup?!? It's my Mutti's creation of one of her best quick and easy soup recipes. Absolutely delicious and nutritious as well. But first, take a look at my cream of mushroom soup recipe and see how easy it is.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 12 oz button mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- parsley to garnish
- Clean mushrooms. Remove 2 nice ones to keep for garnish. Finely chop the remaining mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion an mushrooms in the butter for about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well. Cook for another minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add the stock and the milk, stirring well.
- Return to heat and cook over medium heat until soup thickens, stirring constantly.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice reserved mushrooms
- Serve, garnished with parsley and sliced mushrooms.
- Makes 4 servings
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Add a swirl of whipping cream (heavy cream) to each bowl.
- Cooking mushrooms this way by chopping them finely and simmering them is great for those who don't like the 'mushroom feel' in their mouth, but like the flavour.
- Vegetarian? Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Use a good quality chicken stock or, if you go vegetarian, use a vegetable stock. Don't have that available, then use water and bouillon cubes. Works great as well.
Looking for a cream of mushroom soup that's even quicker and easier?
Check out this homemade mushroom soup that I learned from my Mutti.
Some Mushroom Facts
Did you know that mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins, such as riboflavin and niacin.
What a great way to include these nutrients in your soup.
Some more Mushroom Recipes
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Words to the Wise
"A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted."
Proverbs 12:16 (NLT)