Andy's Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Need a broccoli cheese soup recipe, aka Brokkoli-Käse-Suppe, that's easy to make? Delicious and creamy? This one's among my hubby's favorites ... one that gets rave reviews every time I make it! My hubby, Andy, is a great food critic. He knows when something is good. He knows when something is very good. He knows when something is great. This easy broccoli cheese soup recipe is in the GREAT category!
My granddaughter loves ordering broccoli cheese soup whenever she goes to her favorite restaurant. So, I did some research and experimentation, and this creamy, rich broccoli cheese soup is the winner!
Andy's Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- about 1 lb broccoli
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots or onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups hot milk (I used 2 %)
- 1 cup cream (I used 18%)
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- salt, pepper
- 3 cups grated cheese (I used old cheddar)
- Prepare the broccoli by cutting off the stems. Peel the stems and dice. Coarsely chop the broccoli heads.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallots or onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in flour and continue cooking for a few minutes until golden (but not browned!)
- Stir in the hot milk, stirring continually so that no lumps form. Add the cream.
- Add the broccoli stems and heads. Season with a pinch of nutmeg and some pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Gently simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Stir occasionally to make sure the soup doesn't settle on the bottom and burn.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup if you wish.
- Add the cheese and stir until it has melted and the soup is well mixed.
- Season with salt, pepper, and additional nutmeg if desired.
- Serve, sprinkled with additional grated cheese if desired.
- Makes about 4-6 servings.
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Don't have an immersion blender? Carefully pour hot soup into blender and puree. Then, return to the pot and reheat gently if needed.
- Want to keep the calories down. Omit the cream and add an extra cup of milk or chicken stock.
- Use any kind of melting cheese.
Did you know ...
Broccoli is high in vitamin C as well as dietary fiber. It is also rich in lutein. Although best eaten raw or slightly steamed, if your broccoli has been sitting in the fridge for a while and doesn't look like it would be nice for a salad, then making this soup is one of those easy vegetable recipes that would be a great way of using a less-than-fresh veggie.
I was looking for an easy broccoli recipe, something a bit different, but still German. This soup was the result. With such easy lunch ideas as this one, you'll treat your family like royalty.
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Words to the Wise
"Wise words bring many benefits, and hard work brings rewards."
Proverbs 12:1 (NLT)