Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
Want homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, aka Pilzcremesuppe or Champignonsuppe, without all the fuss? This recipe is so easy and quick to make. It's a recipe for mushroom soup you'll use over and over.
From scratch? No.
But it certainly tastes like it. It's one of those quick and easy dinner recipes that uses items you probably already have in your pantry.
For the full list of ingredients & detailed instructions, see the recipe card at the end of this post. But before you scroll, there’s important & interesting stuff to know right below.
In fact, once you try my Mutti's mushroom soup, you'll make sure you always have canned condensed mushroom soup and canned mushrooms on your shelf!
This recipe's origins ...
Now back to this homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe. That's right - it says canned soup. But wait, it doesn't taste like canned soup when you are finished. It's the 'mushroomiest', 'creamiest', and 'easiest' cream of mushroom soup you will ever make!
How do I know that?
Well, my Mutti was the best German cook there was. She made everything from scratch (or so I thought!).
That very last time I visited her, she served a mushroom soup that I
just loved. I was very touched that she would go through all that work
just for me (she hadn't been feeling well).
And then she shared her secret for her favorite among her quick soup recipes and here it was: canned soup and "fried" canned mushroom pieces! WOW!
Wanting real mushroom soup from scratch?
If you're wanting a real homemade cream of mushroom soup FROM SCRATCH, here's the one I use: Oma's Cream of Mushroom Soup.
BUT, if wanting Mutti's version, a quick and easy version that tasted homemade, then that's the recipe that's here ...
Ready to make Mutti's Mushroom Soup?
Mutti's Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Want homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, aka Pilzcremesuppe or Champignonsuppe, without all the fuss? This recipe is so easy and quick to make.
From scratch? No. But it certainly tastes like it
Makes 2 servings
- 1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can mushroom pieces, well drained
- 1 can milk (use the soup can as a measure)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ground pepper
- Empty can of soup into pot. Add can of milk. Stir well. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, fry well-drained mushroom pieces in butter until slightly browned.
- Add browned mushrooms to soup. Stir. Add freshly ground pepper.
- Add cream instead of milk, or part cream and part milk.
- For a still more mushroomy taste, use the liquid that you drained from the canned mushrooms (if it's not salty) to replace some of the milk. Then use cream instead of milk to make up the difference.
- Add some chopped onion to the mushrooms when browning.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- If you just happen to have fresh mushrooms, then slice them and brown them in butter instead. Add these to the soup and get an extra flavor boost!
- If you want a slightly thicker soup, thicken with a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Cheese Spätzle is a traditional German noodle dish. A sort of Germanized version of 'Mac & Cheese', only better! Käsespätzle - YUM!
Go to the recipe
This vegan German-style Leek and Lentil Stew with Potatoes (Linseneintopf mit Kartoffeln und Lauch) is my new favorite recipe. It's quick and easy to prepare, filling, and delicious.
Go to the recipe
This German streusel fruit tart, Obstkuchen mit Streusel, uses either fresh or canned fruit, such as apricots, peaches, cherries. A delicious treat, just like Oma bakes.
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
A Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup that is really easy, really quick, and really, really good? You'll never think it all came from a bunch of cans! Really!
Ingredients: condensed mushroom soup,
canned mushroom pieces,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Don’t fret because of evildoers; don’t envy the wicked. For evil people have no future; the light of the wicked will be snuffed out."
Proverbs 24:19-20 (NLT)