Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup: Oma's Champignonsuppe
Want homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, aka Pilzcremesuppe or Champignonsuppe, without all the fuss? This recipe is so easy and quick to make.
From scratch? No. But it certainly tastes like it
Makes 2 servings
- 1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can mushroom pieces, well drained
- 1 can milk (use the soup can as a measure)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ground pepper
- Empty can of soup into pot. Add can of milk. Stir well. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, fry well-drained mushroom pieces in butter until slightly browned.
- Add browned mushrooms to soup. Stir. Add freshly ground pepper.
- Add cream instead of milk, or part cream and part milk.
- For a still more mushroomy taste, use the liquid that you drained from the canned mushrooms (if it's not salty) to replace some of the milk. Then use cream instead of milk to make up the difference.
- Add some chopped onion to the mushrooms when browning.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- If you just happen to have fresh mushrooms, then slice them and brown them in butter instead. Add these to the soup and get an extra flavor boost!
- If you want a slightly thicker soup, thicken with a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com