Oma's Leek Soup Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This leek soup recipe, aka Lauchsuppe, with cream cheese is made in under 30 minutes. Creamy rich with mushrooms added for that extra touch, this is a fantastic starter course for a dinner party. Elegant. Easy. Quick.
Check out the A bit of this & a bit of that section below for a different and simple way to clean leeks.
This is a very important step whenever you're cooking leeks, because the last thing you want is sand in your soup!
Grab your copy of my own German Soup e-Cookbook in English. You'll LOVE it!
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
Leeks belong to the same family as onions and garlic, but taste quite mild when cooked.
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- This way of cleaning leeks is easy and makes such pretty rings. The normal way of cleaning them for most leek recipes is to trim off the dark green leaves about an inch or so above the white part of the leeks.
- Then, cut towards the root down the length of the leeks, but stopping just sort of the root end. Turn leek a quarter turn and cut again down towards the root. Now spread out the leeks under running water and wash the dirt thoroughly from the leeks.
- Use a good quality beef broth for this. Bouillon cubes and water work well. Just make sure you read the package for the right quantities.
- If you wish, you could use fresh mushrooms. Fry sliced mushrooms in some butter and add them. You'll need to use about 4 cups of broth in this case.
- Whenever you brown ground beef, stir to break up the larger chunks of meat.
I like to use plain cream cheese for this. If you have an herb one, that would be nice as well.
Cubing the cream cheese just allows the cheese to melt faster. You don't need to be careful to cut the cubes neatly :-)
Ready to make this Leek Soup?
Oma's Leek Soup Recipe
This leek soup recipe, Lauchsuppe, with cream cheese is made in under 30 minutes. Creamy rich with mushrooms added for that extra touch, this is a fantastic starter course for a dinner party. Elegant. Easy. Quick.
Makes 4 servings
- 1½ lb leeks
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3½ cups beef broth
- 1 can mushrooms (undrained)
- 3 oz package cream cheese, cubed
- salt, pepper
- Cut away the dark green leaves an inch or so above the white part of the leeks. Cut leeks into ¼" - ½" slices (rings). Put these into a large bowl of water. Separate leek slices with fingers and swish around to remove dirt and sand. Scoop out leeks and drain in a sieve.
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef in olive oil.
- Add leeks, frying for several minutes. Add beef broth and mushrooms.
- Simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cream cheese, stirring to melt.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
PIN this ...
If you love hummus, then you’ll love this creamy hummus salad dressing recipe! It’s just like the real deal, but in liquid form so you can drizzle it all over your favorite greens ...
Go to the recipe
This recipe for creamy vegan mushroom soup is inspired in part by Oma's German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood eating this classic comfort food.
Go to the recipe
❤️ Leek Soup Recipe made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
This leek soup recipe has added cream cheese for that added extra touch for an extra elegant soup. A fantastic starter course for a dinner party.
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Good news from far away is like cold water to the thirsty."
Proverbs 25:25 (NLT)