Melania's Celery Soup Recipe
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
Here's a creamy celery soup recipe that doesn't use cream. Filled with flavor, quick to make, and economical as well. If you're vegetarian or vegan, this one's for you as well. In fact, my friend, Melania, who gave me this recipe, is neither vegetarian or vegan!
However, this celery soup recipe works for almost anyone! Just make sure you use a vegan cheese if that's what you want.
Melania's Creamy Celery Soup Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb celery (about 8 ribs) with leaves, finely sliced
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese to garnish (if using)
a large soup pot, heat the oil and add onion. Cook until translucent,
about 3 minutes. Add celery and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Do not
let veggies brown.
- Add potatoes, vegetable stock and thyme.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Use immersion blender to puree soup.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, sprinkling bowls with grated cheese (if using)
- Makes about 4 servings.
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too! There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Don't have an immersion blender? Carefully pour hot soup into blender and puree.
- Use vegetable bouillon cubes to make stock if you want this to be a vegan vegetable soup. You can always add other veggies as well.
- Don't have fresh thyme? Use about ¼ tsp dried thyme instead.
- If you're making this vegan, make sure you use a vegan cheese for the garnish or omit it altogether.
This is a really old recipe that comes from my dear friend, Melania. I've made some slight modifications. Love the fact that we can share recipes, change them up a bit, and turn them into something totally new!
Looking for a Cream of Celery Soup that's German ... with cream, nutmeg, and leeks? Check out Oma's Celery Soup. You'll love it as well :)
I bought a large bunch of thyme the first time I made this soup. I then froze the leftover thyme in a baggie, flattened to make it easier to remove sprigs as I need them.
I find I can just run my fingers over the frozen sprigs and the frozen thyme leaves come right off.
Some more Veggie Soup Recipes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
* * * * *
Word to the Wise
"There is treasure in the house of the godly, but the earnings of the wicked bring trouble."
Proverbs 15:6 (NLT)