Melania's Creamy Celery Soup Recipe
Here's a creamy celery soup recipe, aka Selleriesuppe, that doesn't use cream. Filled with flavor, quick to make, and economical as well. If you're cooking vegan, just omit the cheese garnish.
In fact, my friend, Melania, who gave me this recipe, is neither vegetarian or vegan!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb celery (about 8 ribs) with leaves, finely sliced
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese to garnish (if using)
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil and add onion. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add celery and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Do not let veggies brown.
- Add potatoes, vegetable stock and thyme.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Use immersion blender to puree soup.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, sprinkling bowls with grated cheese (if using)
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com