Oma's Liver and Onions Recipe
This easy liver and onions recipe, aka Leber und Zwiebeln, has a secret ingredient: apples. A hubby and kid-pleaser, this one is quick to make. The best liver to use for this is calves liver. Although it is usually more expensive, it really is worth it. It's the tenderest and mildest in flavor. Next in quality is baby beef liver and then lamb liver. Check out what Oma says below!
I love to serve this with fries and veggies. It's also wunderbar served on a bed of rice. Quick and easy dinner for sure! I think you'll love this!
Oma's Calves' Liver and Onions Recipe
- 4 slices calves' liver (about 5 oz each)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 5 Tbsp butter or oil, divided
- salt, pepper, sugar
- 3 apples, peeled, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 onions, sliced
- In saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp butter or oil.
- Add apple and onion slices and sauté until soft. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
- Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Remove any skin from liver. Dust with flour.
- In saucepan, heat 3 Tbsp butter or oil and fry liver on both sides about 4 minutes.
- Season liver with salt and pepper. Add a bit of water to the pan and stir to make a bit of gravy to pour over.
- Serve liver with onions and apples.
- Serves 4.
- Fry 8 slices of bacon in the frying pan. Remove from pan and set aside. Use the bacon fat to sauté the apple and onion slices, adding more butter if needed. Remove the crispy strips and serve them on top of the liver.
The addition of the apples to this recipe brings a sweet taste to the finished dish, making this a kid friendly dish for sure.
I was always surprised that my kids actually liked liver. It was something that other children often teased about, but, they did like it.
If you are using a stronger flavored liver, such as beef, pork, or sheep, it is advisable to soak it for several hours in milk.
To use the liver, wipe it first with a damp paper towel, and then remove the thin outer skin and any veins. Never cook it too long, as it will become tough.
This is really nice if you fry up some bacon slices as well. Serve them alongside, just as shown in the above photo.
Some German Beef Recipes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
PIN this ...
Words to the Wise
"The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure to have children who are wise."
Proverbs 23:24 (NLT)