Oma's Recipe for Poached Fish
Need a recipe for poached fish, aka Pochierter Fisch? Here's one with a mustard sauce that's one of my quick meals recipes.
Poaching keeps the fish moist and provides for the base for the sauce. Instead of using flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce, the poaching liquid is reduced. The resulting sauce is thickened by stirring in some butter at the end.
The result? Delicious and light-tasting!
This dish tastes great when served with boiled potatoes and a salad.
Use any firm, mild white fish, such as cod, haddock, or sole for this very traditional German dish.
Oma's Recipe for Poached fish ... Cod with Mustard Sauce
- 1½ lb cod fillets
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, keep stalks separate
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 Tbsp butter
- salt, pepper
- Sprinkle lemon juice on fillets.
- Put the onion, peppercorns, clove, parsley stalks, and bay leaf in a large frying pan.
- Pour in water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add fish, cover, and simmer very gently for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes.
- Remove fish (cover with foil to keep warm)
- Strain 2 cups of poaching liquid into a pan and simmer until reduced to about half. Stir in mustard.
- Whisk butter into reduced stock, a little at a time - this will thicken sauce slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return fish briefly to poaching liquid to re-warm.
- Serve fish with sauce.
- Makes 4 - 6 servings.
Serving fish with mustard is very common in Germany. For another easy fish dish that uses mustard try my Dijon salmon.
More Fish Recipes
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Words to the Wise
"Smooth words may hide a wicked heart, just as a pretty glaze covers a clay pot."
Proverbs 26:23 (NLT)