(Un) Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
Stuffed green pepper soup? If you LOVE stuffed peppers, you'll LOVE this soup. Lean ground beef, peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), tomatoes. Served with rice. All the taste, but minus the work. Not only is this a soup, but it can easily be used as a pasta sauce by using a bit less broth. Such a versatile soup that tastes so good and freezes beautifully as well.
Serve this as a soup with rice on top. Stir the rice in. OR, serve as a sauce with pasta. Yummy!
(Un)Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped red and/or yellow pepper
- 2 cup chopped green pepper
- 28-oz can crushed or ground tomatoes
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 - 3 cups beef broth (as needed)
- salt and pepper as needed
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice (to serve separately)
- Brown ground beef in olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain fat, if any.
- Add onions and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir well and bring to simmer. If needed, add more beef broth. Cover and let simmer about 30 - 45 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Fill soup bowls 2/3 full, topping with about 1/2 cup cooked rice.
- Makes 8 servings
I was looking for a vegetable beef soup recipe that used green peppers. Didn't find what I wanted in my German cookbooks. I knew I loved stuffed green peppers, so this recipe is a great alternative to making a similar taste in an easier way.
German. Nope. So, it's among my Non German favorites!
If you're looking for German soups, then Oma's book is what you're looking for.
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- I've used a mixture of lean ground beef, lean ground pork, and/or lean ground chicken. All work fantastic.
- Add more or less of the veggies. Add chopped celery. Add sliced mushrooms. You decide how creative you want to be!
- Use it just the way it is as a spaghetti meat sauce. Delicious served over spaghetti.
If you're looking for green pepper recipes because you have an abundance in the garden, then make this soup and freeze it for use in the winter.
If you're looking for the best ground beef recipes, well this should certainly be one of them. So versatile, since it can be used as a pasta sauce.
Some more Veggie Soups
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
Wores to the Wise
"Smooth words may hide a wicked heart, just as a pretty glaze covers a clay pot."
Proverbs 26:23 (NLT)