Oma's (Un) Stuffed Green Pepper Soup ❤️
Stuffed green pepper soup? If you LOVE stuffed peppers, you'll LOVE this soup. Lean ground beef, peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), tomatoes. Served with rice. All the taste, but minus the work. Not only is this a soup, but it can easily be used as a pasta sauce by using a bit less broth. Such a versatile soup that tastes so good and freezes beautifully as well.
Serve this as a soup with rice on top. Stir the rice in. OR, serve as a sauce with pasta. Yummy!
Oma's (Un)Stuffed Green Pepper Soup ❤️
- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 - 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped red and/or yellow pepper
- 2 cup chopped green pepper
- 28-oz can crushed or ground tomatoes
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 - 3 cups beef broth (as needed)
- salt and pepper as needed
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice (to serve separately)
- Brown ground beef in olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain fat, if any.
- Add onions and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir well and bring to simmer. If needed, add more beef broth. Cover and let simmer about 30 - 45 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Fill soup bowls ⅔ full, topping with about ½ cup cooked rice.
- Makes 8 servings
I was looking for a vegetable beef soup recipe that used green peppers. Didn't find what I wanted in my German cookbooks. I knew I loved stuffed green peppers, so this recipe is a great alternative to making a similar taste in an easier way.
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too! There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- I've used a mixture of lean ground beef, lean ground pork, and/or lean ground chicken. All work fantastic.
- Add more or less of the veggies. Add chopped celery. Add sliced mushrooms. You decide how creative you want to be!
- Use it just the way it is as a spaghetti meat sauce. Delicious served over spaghetti.
If you're looking for green pepper recipes because you have an abundance in the garden, then make this soup and freeze it for use in the winter.
If you're looking for the best ground beef recipes, well this should certainly be one of them. So versatile, since it can be used as a pasta sauce.
Is this (un)stuffed green pepper soup ... German. Nope. So, it's among my Non German favorites!
Some more Soups
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
PIN this ...
Wores to the Wise
"Smooth words may hide a wicked heart, just as a pretty glaze covers a clay pot."
Proverbs 26:23 (NLT)