How to Make Egg Salad
Learn how to make egg salad, quick and easily with this best egg salad recipe. It's perfect when served on a nice whole grain bread, as shown above, or some freshly baked German Brötchen. Great for sandwiches, buffets, appetizers, or as a late-night snack. And this recipe has a 'secret' ingredient. Mushrooms! That's right, mushrooms!
This recipe for egg salad can easily be altered to match your tastes. Check below for more options and tips.
How to Make Egg Salad ... German-style
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small can mushrooms, drained and chopped
- about ½ cup mayonnaise (purchased or homemade)
- 2 tsp mustard
- chives to garnish
- Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs
- Mix eggs together with mushrooms, mayonnaise, and mustard.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve with toast or buns.
Looking for German ingredients and more? Take a look ...
Tips on Making Egg Salad
- Remember to keep this "Eiersalat", as well as any other containing mayonnaise, cold.
- An easy way to keep it cold is to put it in a small bowl that is sitting inside a larger bowl filled with ice. Looks pretty that way as well.
- Don't like mushrooms? Omit them.
- Want more spice? Add some.
- Don't like mustard? Omit it.
- Love pickles? Add them.
- There are so many different variations on the same recipe. Try it with chopped gherkins, celery, or olives.
- Chopped nuts make for a really different treat. Minced ham, chicken, or beef are good additions as well. REALLY! Sounds strange, but it's wunderbar!
- I'll sometimes add some extra cooked egg whites and remove a couple of egg yolks. It hardly makes any difference to the final salad.
- Make this extra special by using your own homemade mayonnaise. It's so easy to do. Check it out here.
Check out How to Hard Boil Eggs to learn how to do this easily. It's the way I learned how when my first-born was a toddler.
It came from a baby book, not sure of the title anymore. It suggested that this way the egg didn't turn out "tough."
Not sure what that meant at the time, but I liked making them this easy way. It became my standard way of making them for any recipes using eggs that needed to be hard-boiled.
Eggs are such a
great way to add protein to your diet. They contain not only
high-quality protein, but do so for few calories. Truly a diet food!
More great Salads ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
PIN this ...
Make every day a day of JOY!
1 Thessalonians 5:16 (KJV)