Oma Shows How to Make Egg Salad
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
Learn how to make egg salad, aka Eiersalat, quick and easily with this best egg salad recipe. It's perfect when served on a nice whole grain bread, as shown above, or some freshly baked German Brötchen.
Great for sandwiches, buffets, appetizers, or as a late-night snack. And this recipe has a 'secret' ingredient. Mushrooms! That's right, mushrooms!
For the full list of ingredients & detailed instructions, see the recipe card at the end of this post. But before you scroll, there’s important & interesting stuff to know right below.
This recipe for egg salad can easily be altered to match your tastes. Check below for more options and tips.
Tips on Making Egg Salad
- Remember to keep this "Eiersalat", as well as any other foods containing mayonnaise, cold.
- An easy way to keep it cold is to put it in a small bowl that is sitting inside a larger bowl filled with ice. Looks pretty that way as well.
- Don't like mushrooms? Omit them.
- Want more spice? Add some.
- Don't like mustard? Omit it.
- Love pickles? Add them.
- There are so many different variations on the same recipe. Try it with chopped gherkins, celery, or olives.
- Chopped nuts make for a really different treat. Minced ham, chicken, or beef are good additions as well. REALLY! Sounds strange, but it's wunderbar!
- I'll sometimes add some extra cooked egg whites and remove a couple of egg yolks. It hardly makes any difference to the final salad.
- Make this extra special by using your own homemade mayonnaise. It's so easy to do. Check it out here.
Check out how to Hard Boil Eggs to learn how to do this easily. It's the way I learned how when my first-born was a toddler.
It came from a baby book, not sure of the title anymore. It suggested that this way the egg didn't turn out "tough."
Not sure what that meant at the time, but I liked making them this easy way. It became my standard way of making them for any recipes using eggs that needed to be hard-boiled for many years.
Eggs are such a
great way to add protein to your diet. They contain not only
high-quality protein, but do so for few calories. Truly a diet food!
Ready to make this egg salad?
How to Make Egg Salad ... German-style
This quick and easy egg salad, is perfect for sandwiches, buffets, appetizers, or as a late-night snack. And, this recipe has a 'secret' ingredient that I've only seen used in Germany.
Makes 4 servings
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small can mushrooms, drained and chopped
- about ½ cup mayonnaise (purchased or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- salt and pepper, as needed
- chives to garnish
- Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs.
- Mix eggs together with mushrooms, mayonnaise, and mustard. Season with salt and/or freshly ground pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve with German bread or buns.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Make this slow cooker roast beef and be amazed how much this tastes like rouladen WITHOUT the work. Same wonderful gravy, tender meat, and perfect for family and guests.
Go to the recipe
This German streusel fruit tart, Obstkuchen mit Streusel, uses either fresh or canned fruit, such as apricots, peaches, cherries. A delicious treat, just like Oma bakes.
Go to the recipe
German sauerkraut salad is so easy, delicious, and goes with almost anything. It’s super healthy when made with your homemade sauerkraut that's so easy to make, as well.
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
How to Make Egg Salad Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Learn how to make egg salad, quick and easily with this best Egg Salad recipe. Great for sandwiches, buffets, appetizers, or as a late-night snack. This one has a secret ingredient!
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Make every day a day of JOY!
1 Thessalonians 5:16 (KJV)