Oma's Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
Oma's creamy Cream of Celery Soup recipe makes a wonderful light supper. Serve a salad on the side, some crispy crackers, and fruit to finish, and you'll have a happy and satisfied family! It's a variation of a normal celery soup, but with additions that turn this into a soup that satisfies the German taste buds. A difference is that Germans use celery root for their soup. This one uses the stalks and leaves.
So what's the main difference between this and a non-German one? Cream! Nutmeg! Leeks! Everything a good German cream soup should have.
Oma's Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 leek, cleaned well and sliced
- 1 lb celery (about 8 ribs) with leaves, finely sliced
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream (5%, 10%, or 18%)
- 1/4 cup Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese with Chives (herbs)
- nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil and add onion. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the leek and celery. Continue cooking about 5 minutes. Do not let veggies brown.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Add cream and cream cheese. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Use immersion blender to puree soup.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Makes about 4-6 servings.
- Don't want to add the cream? Just use 4 cups of chicken broth instead.
- Slice the celery very thin! That way it will be easy for the immersion blender to turn this soup into a creamy and delicious soup!
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Don't have an immersion blender? Carefully pour hot soup into blender and puree.
- Use chicken bouillon cubes to make the broth.
If you don't have any leek, just omit it. Add a bit more celery if you wish.
If you have freshly grated nutmeg, that would be super. If not, just use ground.
Always check your seasoning at the end. It depends on how salty your broth is if you need to add salt or not.
I love playing around with recipes. So easy to do with soups, since they don't really need accurate measurements. Try some of this and some of that ... create new recipes from old ones. Change old ones with a new addition.
Some more Veggie Soups ...
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
Cream of Celery Soup
Words to the Wise
"The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions."
Proverbs 28:1 (NLT)