Leek Soup Recipe
This leek soup recipe with cream cheese is made in under 30 minutes. Creamy rich with mushrooms added for that extra touch, this is a fantastic starter course for a dinner party. Elegant. Easy. Quick. Check out the A bit of this & a bit of that section below for a different and simple way to clean leeks.
This is a very important step whenever you're cooking leeks, because the last thing you want is sand in your soup!
Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb leeks
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can mushrooms (undrained)
- 3 oz package cream cheese, cubed
- Cut away the dark green leaves an inch or so above the white part of the leeks. Cut leeks into 1/4" - 1/2" slices (rings). Put these into a large bowl of water. Separate leek slices with fingers and swish around to remove dirt and sand. Scoop out leeks and drain in a sieve.
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef in olive oil.
- Add leeks, frying for several minutes. Add beef broth and mushrooms.
- Simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cream cheese, stirring to melt.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and serve.
- Makes 4 servings
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
Leeks belong to the same family as onions and garlic, but taste quite mild when cooked.
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- This way of cleaning leeks is easy and makes such pretty rings. The normal way of cleaning them for most leek recipes is to trim off the dark green leaves about an inch or so above the white part of the leeks. Then, cut towards the root down the length of the leeks, but stopping just sort of the root end. Turn leek a quarter turn and cut again down towards the root. Now spread out the leeks under running water and wash the dirt thoroughly from the leeks.
- Use a good quality beef broth for this. Bouillon cubes and water work well. Just make sure you read the package for the right quantities.
- If you wish, you could use fresh mushrooms. Fry sliced mushrooms in some butter and add them. You'll need to use about 4 cups of broth in this case.
- Whenever you brown ground beef, stir to break up the larger chunks of meat.
I like to use plain cream cheese for this. If you have an herb one, that would be nice as well. Cubing the cream cheese just allows the cheese to melt faster. You don't need to be careful to cut the cubes neatly :-)
Some more German Veggie Soups
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Leek Soup Recipe
Leek Soup Recipe
Words to the Wise
"Good news from far away is like cold water to the thirsty."
Proverbs 25:25 (NLT)