Mutti's Chilled Cucumber Soup Recipe
My Mutti's chilled cucumber soup recipe, aka Kalte Gurkensuppe, is so quick to throw together ... everything into the blender ... and ... a few moments later, it's ready to serve. Really! Use thin-skinned English cucumbers for extra healthy and extra quick. If you use regular cucumbers, peel them first. Their skins can be a bit tough, unless you have a fantastic blender that will smooch everything to bits! This soup is refreshing ... so do serve it cold. Make sure the cucumbers are cold when you start.
If you wish, you can chill it a bit before serving, especially on a really hot day. That way, it's icy cold which makes this so refreshing. Among summer soup recipes, my Mutti's German cucumber soup is really very traditional.
Mutti's Chilled Cucumber Soup Recipe
- 2 English cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (preferably light)
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt, freshly ground pepper, dill
- Cut off about ¼ of one of the cucumbers and set it aside to use for garnishing.
- Coarse chop the remaining cucumbers and put into blender. Add olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice, and sugar. Blend on high until smooth. You may need to add a bit of water to get the proper consistency.
- Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, and dill.
- Slice reserved cucumber and use as a garnish.
- Makes 4 servings
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too! There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Instead of the Greek yogurt, you can use sour cream, or Crème Fraîche. The fat level? You choose. You can use full fat if you're looking for a low carb soup, which the above is. Or, reduce the fat level (and caloric value) by decreasing the fat content of the yogurt or sour cream.
- Like garlic? Add 1 - 2 cloves, minced.
- Use either fresh dill, finely chopped, or dried dill. Adjust the amount according to your taste.
This soup is great if you're looking for summer soup recipes that are also great German vegetarian menu ideas.
When I eat this soup, I can almost see myself sitting by the water, in the shade of a palm tree, enjoying the coolness of the ocean breezes. Hmmmmm .... or .... I see myself sitting on the patio with my Mutti, enjoying some quiet times :)
Did you know ...
- Cucumbers are so healthy for you. Low in calories and high in nutrients, such as Vitamin K, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
- Leaving the skin on, as in the above recipe, you will increase your fibre intake as well.
All in all, a very healthy vegetable to include in your diet. AND, delicious as well!
More German Soups
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Words to the Wise
"Don't do as the wicked do, and don't follow the path of evildoers. Don't even think about it; don't go that way. Turn away and keep moving."
Proverbs 4:14-15 (NLT)