Best Pound Cake Recipe ~ Sandkuchen
My best Pound Cake recipe, aka Sandkuchen, is this one. My Oma made it, my Mutti made it, and now I make it! It's my quick cake recipe for emergencies. Sandkuchen, literally translated as Sand Cake, is also one of the great holiday baking recipes to have. Why? Because it's such a treat!
But since it's so good, it also finds it's way into my quick cake recipes collection.
Best Pound Cake Recipe: Sandkuchen
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Prepare a 3 in. X 10 in. loaf baking pan by greasing and flouring it.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well after each one. Continue beating until light in colour and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Mix together cornstarch, flour, and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture. Add lemon rind and stir.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until wooden toothpick poked into centre comes out clean.
- Place pan on wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert pan to remove cake and let cool on wire rack
Make Sandkuchen a bit different ...
Here I've iced the finished cake with lemon icing. Just take some icing sugar and use enough lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed) to make a nice, not-too-liquid icing.
- Play around with the flavorings in dough of this best pound cake recipe and create your own variation.
- Use just vanilla (omitting the lemon peel), or use almond extract (my favorite). Or, try rum instead (a traditional choice).
- It is often just sprinkled with icing sugar before serving.
- Many times, I'll coat it with a chocolate glaze as a treat.
- Use a loaf pan, well greased and floured. Ideally, using a narrow and long loaf pan (about 3 in. x 10 in.) will give you a traditional looking Sandkuchen.
Because of its high butter content, this Sandkuchen is very moist and keeps well ... although there's seldom much left over when I serve it.
It tastes absolutely WUNDERBAR!
Some more German Cakes
More German Recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Best Pound Cake Recipe
Words to the Wise
"Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers."
Proverbs 11:14 (NLT)