Best Pound Cake Recipe ~ Sandkuchen
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
My best pound cake recipe, aka Sandkuchen, is this one. My Oma made it, my Mutti made it, and now I make it! It's my quick cake recipe for emergencies. Sandkuchen, literally translated as Sand Cake, is also one of the great holiday baking recipes to have. Why? Because it's such a treat!
But since it's so good, it also finds it's way into my quick cake recipes collection. Good and quick. Good because it's tastes so rich and moist.
- Traditionally, a pound cake is made with equal weights of flour, sugar, butter, and eggs.
- There are many variations in many countries that have similar recipes that have evolved over time to include various weights
- Germany's Eischwerkuchen ("egg weight cake") would be closest to a traditional pound cake
- Sandkuchen (sand cake) while not a true pound cake (equal weight ingredients) has a similar texture.
Best Pound Cake Recipe: Sandkuchen
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Prepare a 3" X 10" loaf baking pan by greasing and flouring it.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well after each one. Continue beating until light in colour and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Mix together cornstarch, flour, and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture. Add lemon rind and stir.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until wooden toothpick poked into centre comes out clean.
- Place pan on wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert pan to remove cake and let cool on wire rack.
Make Sandkuchen a bit different ...
Here I've iced the finished cake with lemon icing. Just take some icing sugar and use enough lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed) to make a nice, not-too-liquid icing.
- Play around with the flavorings in dough of this best pound cake recipe and create your own variation.
- Use just vanilla (omitting the lemon peel), or use almond extract (my favorite). Or, try rum instead (a traditional choice).
- It is often just sprinkled with icing sugar before serving.
- Many times, I'll coat it with a chocolate glaze as a treat.
- Use a loaf pan, well greased and floured. Ideally, using a narrow and long loaf pan (about 3"x 10") will give you a traditional looking Sandkuchen.
Because of its high butter content, this Sandkuchen is very moist and keeps well ... although there's seldom much left over when I serve it.
It tastes absolutely WUNDERBAR!
Some more German Cakes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
* * * * *
Words to the Wise
"Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers."
Proverbs 11:14 (NLT)