Best Pound Cake Recipe: Sandkuchen
My best pound cake recipe, aka Sandkuchen, is this one. My Oma made it, my Mutti made it, and now I make it! It's my quick cake recipe for emergencies.
Sandkuchen, literally translated as Sand Cake, is also one of the great holiday baking recipes to have. Why? Because it's such a treat!
Makes 10 servings
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a 3x10-inch loaf baking pan by greasing and flouring it.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well after each one. Continue beating until light in color and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Mix together cornstarch, flour, and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture. Add lemon rind and stir.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until wooden toothpick poked into centre comes out clean.
- Place pan on wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert pan to remove cake and let cool on wire rack.
- Put powdered sugar into a sieve and tap over cake to dust.
- Use just vanilla (omitting the lemon peel), or use almond extract (my favorite). Or, try rum instead (a traditional choice).
- It is often just sprinkled with icing sugar before serving.
- Use the juice of the lemon you zested to make a lemon icing by mixing a cup of powdered sugar with just enough lemon juice to get a nice pouring consistency. Pour over cake and let sit until it hardens.
- Coat with a chocolate glaze as a treat.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
09.13.2021 revision update