Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Make this easy chicken noodle soup recipe made from scratch! Yes, you could make this using store-bought chicken broth. But why pay more for something that doesn't taste as great as home-made? Buy the least expensive chicken you can - whole or parts - and simmer with soup veggies to make a stock that's really flavorful.
You can also be creative and use barley or rice instead. And then add whatever veggies you like! Hühner-Nudelsuppe!
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Stock:
- 1 chicken (cut into pieces)
- 5 - 6 cups water
- 1 tsp Vegeta (or salt)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 - 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 - 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 - 2 parsnips, leek stalks, etc.
Instructions for Chicken Stock:
- Remove visible fat from chicken.
- Put chicken into large pot and cover with water.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 1 hour until chicken is tender. Occasionally skim foam from top during simmering time.
- Remove chicken pieces. Strain cooking liquid through sieve, saving liquid and discarding vegetables.
- Return stock to pot to continue cooking Chicken Noodle Soup below or refrigerate until needed. Skim fat off top if desired. You can also freeze stock for later use. Remove meat from chicken pieces. Remove nice large pieces for another meal (if desired.) Use smaller pieces for soup.
Ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup:
- About 5 cups of above Chicken Stock
- 2 stalks celery
- sliced 2 carrots
- sliced 1 onion, chopped
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups egg noodles
- 1 - 2 cups of chicken meat
- Vegeta, salt, pepper as needed
- parsley for garnish
- To the stock, add vegetables and bring to boil.
- Simmer until vegetables are
almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add egg noodles and simmer about 8 - 10
minutes until noodles are tender.
- Return chicken meat to soup.
- Season with additional Vegeta or salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- When making the soup, you can also add mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, etc. Each additional vegetable adds a different flavor to the finished soup - each absolutely delicious! (it's a great way to clean out the veggie drawer!)
- Instead of egg noodles, you can use pasta. Small shapes work best - and the kids love them.
- Turn this easy chicken noodle soup recipe into a chicken rice soup by using about 3/4 cup long-grained rice with the veggies and simmer about 20 - 25 minutes or take a look at this chicken rice soup recipe.
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
More Chicken Soup Hints ...
The amount and types of soup veggies you add when cooking the chicken stock is flexible.Use any combination of onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, and/or leeks.
This is just to flavor the
stock. You'll strain the broth and add new veggies when finishing the
In the soup pictured here, I've added carrots, cauliflower, green beans, and corn to the stock and cooked it about 10 minutes until the veggies were almost tender. Then I added the noodles and spinach and cooked till the noodles were done ... about 4 minutes for these fine egg noodles.
Re-season and done! Wunderbar!
In the recipe above, you'll end up with a delicious broth and are able to use inexpensive cuts of chicken.
You'll also have meat to put in the soup as well as extra meat to use for another meal.
To finish off the soup, use either fine or medium egg noodles. The amount varies depending on how thick you like your soup.
Economical and easy! Especially with the hints section at the end of the recipe -- you'll discover how this soup cleans out the veggie crisper!
Some more German Poultry Soups
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Words to the Wise
"The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord."
Proverbs 18:22 (NLT)