Easy Brownie Recipe: Oma's or Vegan
This easy brownie recipe may just become one of your favorites. It's quick and has an easy frosting recipe. OR are you looking for a vegan brownie recipe? You'll find a delicious one here as well. Even non-vegans like it! The German twist in both? Almond flavoring! And that turns them into Schokoladenschnitten.
Why do I add that? Well, I just LOVE marzipan and adding almond extract to these brownies is heavenly!
#1. Oma's Easy Brownie Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup flour, all purpose
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1½ Tbsp hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 8" X 8" pan.
- In a small pot, heat butter and cocoa over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar, flour,
walnuts, almond extract (optional), salt, and cocoa mixture. Stir
- Spread in prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in center comes out moist, not wet, with batter. Do not over-bake.
- Cool slightly in pan on rack before icing.
- For icing, beat powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, and coffee until
smooth, adding more powdered sugar or coffee as needed until proper
consistency is reached.
- Spread over warm brownies. Cut into squares.
- Sift cocoa and/or powdered sugar if lumpy
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of icing, if desired.
- Using vanilla instead of almond extract will give you a delicious variation on this easy brownie recipe.
#2. Delicious Vegan Brownies
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup flour
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray or oil a 9" x 9" pan.
- Mix everything together in a bowl EXCEPT for the melted chocolate and nuts. Once everything is well mixed, add the chocolate and nuts and mix in well.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth top.
- Bake about 25 - 30 minutes or until center is firm and not sticky.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Which will you like best? Why not try both and choose. What's the best chocolate brownie recipe? These are both if you want to learn how to make brownies, because they are so easy. Wunderbar!
Tips on Brownies ...
There's only one difficult part in making brownies (and not that difficult) and that's the baking.
They need to
be removed from the oven when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes
out still moist, but not wet with batter.
If you over-bake them, they'll still taste good.
They just won't have
that lovely moist texture. They would make great "dunkers" though if you
keep them un-iced. (Dunk into a lovely cup of hot coffee.)
You may wonder why these recipes are included on my German recipe site because they are not traditional German recipes. Check out Oma's Quickies to find out why.
You may just find either of these is the best chocolate recipe there is!
More German Dessert Recipes
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Words to the Wise
"Keep the commandments and keep your life; despising them leads to death."
Proverbs 19:16 (NLT)