Oma's Best Meatloaf Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This is my best meatloaf recipe that is so simple, so quick, and so delicious! In German it is called Falscher Hase meaning false rabbit. The similarity is in shape, not taste! The loaf is formed into a slightly elongated, flattened shape to resemble a hare (rabbit). Just think of it like shaping a loaf of bread.
Covered in bacon and, perhaps with a hard boiled egg hidden inside, this makes a great dinner that also provides wonderful leftovers for sandwiches the next day.
I usually make several loaves at once - one to eat hot right away (served with red cabbage and mashed potatoes is a treat!) - the rest is reheated for another dinner (slices warmed in the microwave are delicious) or sliced for sandwiches (a real treat!).
Check out the hints section under the recipe for ways to make changes to my best meatloaf recipe ... and make it yours! After it is shaped like a loaf, it is placed on a rimmed baking sheet.
Using this method of how to make a meatloaf, ensures that the fat cooks out of the meat, making this a healthy dinner choice. And, it's great for sandwiches with a bit of ketchup!
Here I've made it without the hard boiled eggs. Makes the best meatloaf sandwiches. Perhaps some mustard or ketchup added. Yum!
Use same recipe for meatballs, etc. ...
Here I've turned 8 pounds of ground beef (that I got on sale) into:
- meatballs that will be oven browned and then frozen
- 4 mini bacon-wrapped meatloaves to be eaten right away!
- meatballs that will be cooked as Königsberger Klopse mit Sosse for the coming week
- and some left ground beef to freeze for some future use.
I love making this recipe into mini meatloaves ... that way there's lots more crust for everyone!
To check seasonings before baking, I put a small amount, about one teaspoon, of raw meat mixture onto a plate.
I microwave that for about 1 minute or until it sizzles and is cooked through. Let it cool momentarily and taste.
Add extra salt and/or other seasonings as required :-)
Oma's Best Meatloaf Recipe ❤️
- 2 lbs lean beef (or mixture beef and pork)
- 2 eggs
- l onion, finely chopped, (browned in oil, if desired)
- ½ cup bread crumbs or 1 Kaiser roll (see hints below)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled (optional)
- 4 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, gently mix meat, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- If you're hiding hard boiled eggs inside: flatten the meat into a rectangle, lay the eggs on top, and then fold the meat over them. If you're not, then form the meat into a loaf shape. Place the meat loaf on a rimmed baking sheet - not into a loaf pan!
- Cover meatloaf with bacon slices.
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until done. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat loaves are at 165°F.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Traditionally, stale buns were used instead of bread crumbs. Easiest is to use a Kaiser roll, and soak it in some warm milk or water for about 10 minutes. Drain it, squeeze out the liquid, and crumble the roll and add to the meat instead of the breadcrumbs.
- Shape into 2 smaller loaves, so there's more crust - everyone just loves the ends - they're extra delicious!
- Add any or several of the following: ¼ to ½ cup ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, and/or sautéed mushrooms.
- Change flavor by adding 1 tsp thyme.
- You can omit the bacon to wrap the loaves. Instead, brush with barbecue sauce or ketchup before baking.
Want nutritional information? Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams, etc.? Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
Looking for a German blueberry cake that's so easy to make and so delicious? Look no further. It's here!
Go to the recipe
This easy recipe for sauerkraut is a staple in our German menu. Delicious with almost anything! This sauerkraut recipe can also be made VEGAN!
Go to the recipe
❤️ Best Meatloaf Recipe made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Oma's best meatloaf recipe that's delicious served hot or cold. This one's wrapped in bacon. WUNDERBAR with a potato salad. Hide a hard boiled egg in it!
Ingredients: lean beef,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"The godly can look forward to a reward, while the wicked can expect only judgment."
Proverbs 11:23 (NLT)