Readers' Recipes for Dumplings ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
These recipes for dumplings, aka Klösse und Knödel, have been sent in by our readers. Each is different, even in just small ways.
But each is part of the great traditional German foods eaten around the world. Try these German side dishes when your craving something special.
Above are shown the ones I grew up with. They are just like my Mutti used to make them. If you'd like to try these, then click here!
Below are two of our readers' recipes. You'll find more at the bottom of the page!
1. Bayerische-Wald Potato Dumplings
by Sepp (Oshkosh, Wis. USA)
- 6 Idaho Potatoes, peeled, cooked, cooled
- white flour
- When potatoes are cool, mash with potato masher.
- Measure mashed potatoes in large measuring cup.
- Then put in large bowl.
- Remember how many cups of potatoes you had; now add equal amount of white flour to the large bowl.
- Mix with floured hands until you have pea-sized mixture of potato and flour.
- Now grasp with both hands like you are making a large snowball. Pack them good, until they stay together.
- Meanwhile boil a large pot of salted water on the stove. Place dumplings in gently boiling water, occasionally stirring so they don't burn on the bottom.
- When dumplings rise to the top, they are done. (approx. 30 minutes). Do not cover pot while cooking.
2. Marion's Potato Dumplings
by Marion Wells (Aroura, Illinois, USA)
- 3 - 4 potatoes, boiled with skin on until tender
- salt, pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- After the potatoes have cooled, peel and grate with grater onto a hard
floured surface. Add salt and a little pepper if preferred. Add one egg
and one cup flour.
- Start to knead together until the dough stays together, adding flour as
- When the dough stays in a ball, cut a piece of the dough and
start to make a long snake, again using flour when necessary. When the
dough is about the length of a ruler and the width of a quarter, cut it
in about ½ inch pieces and roll one more time in a little flour just
to dust them.
- Add to boiling water with a little salt. When the dumplings rise to the
top of the pot that means they are done, but just check. If the inside
is done, they will look solid and chewy. Then you know they are done.
Take out of the pot and place in bowl or container. Enjoy with stew,
rouladen, or any other type of meat.
- This was my mother's recipe who came from Germany and passed this down to me.
Do you have any dumpling recipes? Or, you can just share your dumpling memories!
Got an easy DUMPLING recipe?
PLEASE, share it with us!
Other Visitors' Dumpling Recipes
Click below to see recipes from other visitors to this page...
Terry’s Cooked Potato Dumplings
My mother always made the Thuringer dumplings with raw potatoes. But it was soo much work and as well they are very heavy in your stomach.
I started …
Traditional "Grey" Dumplings
My MOTHER used to use equal measurements of raw shredded potatoes and cooked mashed potatoes
mix it up with an egg and flour and salt and drop them into …
Here is how my dad and I made "Crub" as we called it.
1 quart of pork blood poured into a large mixing bowl and add three quarts of water. Now …
Instant Mashed Potato Dumplings
My mother grew up in Berlin during the war and the blockade as well. Potatoes were not readily available, but they did get instant mashed potatoes and …
Click here to write your own.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
Looking for a German blueberry cake that's so easy to make and so delicious? Look no further. It's here!
Go to the recipe
This easy recipe for sauerkraut is a staple in our German menu. Delicious with almost anything! This sauerkraut recipe can also be made VEGAN!
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Fear of the Lord is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death."
Proverbs 14:27 (NLT)