Oma's Homemade Potato Soup❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Potato Soup,aka Kartoffelsuppe! Not much else says "German comfort food" like this! This particular potato soup is a combination of my Chunky Potato Soup and a creamy version. It's full of flavor and full of so many optional additions. Keep it simple or dress it up! It's creamy and chunky - all in one.
If you like it brothy and chunky, just be careful not to overcook the potatoes or stir too much. It you want it creamy with small pieces of veggies, cook till potatoes are well done.
Like the soup shown here? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too!
There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
Oma's Potato Soup Tips ...
I know you'll love this version of the traditional German potato soup. I'm sure it'll be among your favorite easy soup recipes.
- I love using German smoked Westfäler sausages for this soup.
- The stirring at the end of the cooking
time, breaks up the potatoes and makes the broth creamy.
- Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes and carrots. If you really want it creamy, remove the meat and use a blender or a mixer to do a thorough job.
Want to make this extra special? It's what my Mutti used to do because she knew that we loved it like this:
Brown some onion rings in butter and garnish the soup with these just before serving.
Oma's Homemade Potato Soup ❤️
- 3 - 4 smoked sausages (wieners, kielbasa, Polish sausage, etc.)
- 1 onion, large dice
- 3 lbs potatoes, large dice
- 1 - 2 ribs celery, large dice
- 2 - 3 carrots, peeled, large dice
- 2 tsp Vegeta (optional)
- 6 cups water or broth
- salt, pepper, parsley
- In a large pot, put potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and sausage. Add water (more if needed to cover vegetables)
- Add about 1 tsp Vegeta powder (or salt) saving the rest to season at the end of cooking, if needed.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste. Sprinkle chopped parsley over top.
- Makes about 6 servings.
- If soup is too thick, add extra water.
- Pierce sausage in several places before adding to soup so the flavors can mingle. Cut the sausage into pieces just before serving and return to soup.
- If you like, add about ½ tsp celery seed.
- If you do not have Vegeta powder, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use fresh ground pepper if possible. Also, fresh parsley is great.
- Season with Maggi before serving.
- To make the soup creamier, mash the soup lightly with a potato masher to break up some of the potatoes before serving.
- If you like your soup still creamier, stir in some instant mashed potato flakes until the soup is the consistency you like.
- I love to add chopped cauliflower to this as well. Add about 1 - 2 cups along with the other vegetables.
- Sliced or quartered button mushrooms are great as well.
- 1 - 2 sliced parsnips add a sweetness to the soup.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
Schwenkbraten recipe that has been a delish hit an alle familien & freunde... Total Approx. Time: Prep: 15 min. + Marinating 8 hrs min. + Grill: 15 min.
Go to the recipe
My Oma made this cake every Christmas. She iced it with a white frosting that ran down the sides. She decorated it with little silver balls (candy). It
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success."
Proverbs 15:22 (NLT)