Alana's Cream of Potato Soup Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This cream of potato soup recipe, aka Kartoffelcremesuppe, is SO delicious! Give it a try when you want something easy but special. Topped with cheese, it's wunderbar! This one is granddaughter inspired ... thanks, Alana!
Now, this is not a traditional German soup, but rather a soup created by an Oma for her granddaughter, but with German-loved ingredients and methods. :) Cream of Potato Soup! Wunderbar :)
Like the soup shown here? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too!
There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- You can use water and bouillon cubes to make the chicken stock. Vegetarian? Use vegetable stock instead.
- Sprinkle each bowl of soup with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Replace 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of 5% cream for an extra creamy potatoe soup recipe.
I love that Alana inspired me to make this creamy soup. The first time she tried it, her comment was, "Oma, this is my new favourite!"
If you would like another easy potato soup, but this time traditional German potato soup that's chunky-ier, check out my homemade potato soup ... just like Oma made!
We, Germans, especially from the northern part of German, LOVE our potatoes. You'll find all sorts of easy potato recipes on this website.
Germany and its Potatoes
Potatoes were brought to Germany in the 1700's but not widely accepted. In fact, it's said that Frederick the Great gave the farmers potatoes to plant.
They, in turn, threw these strange tubers to the dogs. The farmers then reasoned that because the dogs refused to touch them, they couldn't be good.
But, my, how things changed! Germany became one of the world's largest producers of potatoes. There are now so many varieties available in German stores.
Alana's Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper and nutmeg
- Put the prepared vegetables into a large soup pot.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You can use a blender, but be careful since the soup is hot.
- To make the roux, in a smaller pot, melt butter. Stir in the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk and continue stirring until the roux thickens. Add salt and stir.
- Pour the roux into the pureed potato soup. Stir and bring to simmer. Simmer for several minutes to thicken soup.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, and nutmeg if desired.
- Makes 8 servings.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
This goulash soup is one of my most traditional German soups. It's one I often make when I have company coming over and need something easy to prepare ahead.
Go to the recipe
Schwenkbraten recipe that has been a delish hit an alle familien & freunde... Total Approx. Time: Prep: 15 min. + Marinating 8 hrs min. + Grill: 15 min.
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed"
Proverbs 12:19 (NLT)