Oma's Green Bean Soup ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Green Bean Soup, aka Grüne Bohnensuppe, is an emergency dinner that I often use when I don't have time to make anything else. It's so easy, so quick, and so delicious.
Not only that, but there are so many options making this traditional German soup the start of something amazing. Learn how to make this soup and you'll have so many ideas on creating your own variations.
It comes from the idea of "a bit of this and a bit of that." If you've never cooked that way, try this soup. Follow the instructions and then do some experimenting.
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too!
There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
What kind of meat and potatoes to use ...
For the meat, you can use raw ground beef (lean). If you have some smoked sausage or kielbasa (cut into chunks), that works great as well.
Or perhaps you have some leftover roast, pork or beef, and maybe some gravy. If you are using cooked meat, omit the oil and add the cut-up meat to the frozen beans.
To get a meatier flavor, add some bouillon cubes. If you have leftover gravy, you can add that as well.
For the potatoes, you can use raw ones (peeled or unpeeled), cut in chunks, or if there are leftover cooked potatoes, use them. Leftover mashed potatoes work great too. Or instant mashed potatoes, or canned potatoes - whatever you have!
For quantities of these types of potatoes - it depends how thick you want the soup. Adding these cooked potatoes once the beans are cooked, will give you a German Green Bean Soup in about 15 minutes.
All you need for the Green Bean Soup is a bag of frozen green beans, some type of potato, some kind of meat (raw or cooked), some spices, and about 20 minutes.
This soup is really among my favorite quick and easy soup recipes. It actually shows how to make soup in a really easy way.
Oma's Green Bean Soup Recipe ❤️
- 1 - 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground beef, lean, see below for other ideas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lb bag frozen green beans
- 1 - 2 tbsp Vegeta Food Seasoning
- 5 cups potatoes, cut up, see below for other ideas
- In large pot, heat oil and brown ground beef.
- Add chopped onion, cook till translucent or slightly browned.
- Add frozen green beans. Add raw potatoes. (If using cooked potatoes, add once beans are cooked and just reheat.)
- Add sufficient water to cover.
- Add Vegeta.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Cooking longer will improve the flavor.
- Add celery seeds, parsley, or summer savory to taste.
- Add Maggi to taste.
- Add freshly ground pepper (I add lots!)
- Vegeta Food Seasoning has salt and dried vegetables in it. If you don't have this, just add about 1 tsp salt and some pepper to start. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you like soup "brothy", just leave the way it is. However, my family likes it thicker (creamier). The easy way is to slowly add Instant Mashed Potato flakes, stirring constantly, until the soup is the consistency you like.
- Another way to thicken the soup is to grate a raw potato into the soup right at the beginning.
- You can also thicken it with 1 - 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water. Add to finished soup, slowly, until it's the way you like it.
- For other options, check out similar soups, such as my carrot soup.
Want nutritional information? Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams, etc.? Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this … when searching for a yummy German soup to whip together quick!
These German gingerbread cookies, or Lebkuchen, are such a traditional cookie to have for Christmas. They're very easy to make, there's no reason to buy them.
Go to the recipe
Oma's German schnitzel recipe (Jägerschnitzel) is great if you need something delicious that's quick to make as well. So traditionally German and so WUNDERBAR!
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Kind words are like honey -- sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."
Proverbs 16:24 (NLT)
❤️ German Green Bean Soup made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Oma's green bean soup is so super easy and quick. A very traditional German soup that uses a basic method to make so many different types of soups.
For the full recipe, scroll up ...