Easy German Green Bean Soup Recipe – Oma's Grüne Bohnensuppe
Grandma's green bean soup, aka Oma's Grüne Bohnensuppe, is a great option when you don't have much time to make dinner. It's so easy, so quick, and so delicious. The whole family loves it.
Check the Notes/Hints section below for all the tips you'll need. Serve some homemade artisan bread on the side. Yum!
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean beef, (see notes below)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds bag frozen cut green beans
- about 1 teaspoon dried summer savory (Bohnenkraut)
- 1 - 1½ tablespoons Vegeta Food Seasoning (see notes below)
- 5 cups cubed raw potatoes, see below for other ideas
- about 6 cups beef broth or water
- about ½ cup instant mashed potato flakes (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In large pot or a large saucepan over medium high heat, heat the oil and sauté the ground beef until it starts to brown.
- Add onions. Continue to sauté onions until they are translucent.
- Add frozen green beans and raw potatoes. (If using cooked potatoes, add once beans are cooked and just reheat.)
- Add just enough broth to almost cover veggies. Scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Add savory and Vegeta and stir.
- Bring to boil and lower to a medium-low heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in just enough instant mashed potato flakes to thicken the broth of the soup, if using. Soup will thicken slightly more as it rests after adding the potato flakes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and extra summer savory, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or fresh dill with their bright green color.
- Add Maggi to taste.
- Instead of raw potatoes, add leftover cooked potatoes or mashed potatoes. Add this at the end of the cooking process and simmer until hot.
- Instead of ground meat, use ham hocks, smoked sausage or kielbasa. Add it after you brown the onions. Leftover meat can be added at the end instead.
- Instead of frozen beans, use fresh beans. First trim them and cut into small pieces.
- Add garlic cloves, bay leaves, or a ham bone to the simmering soup.
- Vegeta Food Seasoning has salt and dried vegetables in it. If you don't have this, add about 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper to start. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you like soup with a clear broth, omit the instant mashed potato flakes.
- This can be made in the slow cooker by putting all the ingredients (after browning the ground beef and onion) into a slow cooker and setting it to low for about 6 hours.
- To make this more of a rich soup, serve it with a dollop of sour cream.
- This tastes wonderful the next day.
- Serve some homemade bread or rye bread with this to make it a main meal. Perfection!
- If you love German cooking, then you'll love another one of my favorites: German Lentil Soup
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
04.18.2023 revision update