German Homemade Potato Soup: Oma's Kartoffelsuppe
Homemade Potato Soup, aka Kartoffelsuppe! Not much else says "German comfort food" like this! This particular potato soup is a combination of my Chunky Potato Soup and a creamy version.
It's full of flavor and full of so many optional additions. Keep it simple or dress it up! It's creamy and chunky - all in one.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 - 4 smoked sausages (wieners, kielbasa, Polish sausage, etc.)
- 1 onion, large dice
- 3 pounds potatoes, large dice
- 1 - 2 ribs celery, large dice
- 2 - 3 carrots, peeled, large dice
- 2 teaspoons Vegeta (optional)
- 6 cups water or broth
- salt, pepper, parsley
- In a large pot, put potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and sausage. Add water (more if needed to cover vegetables)
- Add about 1 teaspoon Vegeta powder (or salt) saving the rest to season at the end of cooking, if needed.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste. Sprinkle chopped parsley over top.
- If soup is too thick, add extra water.
- Pierce sausage in several places before adding to soup so the flavors can mingle. Cut the sausage into pieces just before serving and return to soup.
- If you like, add about ½ teaspoon celery seed.
- If you do not have Vegeta powder, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use fresh ground pepper if possible. Also, fresh parsley is great.
- Season with Maggi before serving.
- To make the soup creamier, mash the soup lightly with a potato masher to break up some of the potatoes before serving.
- If you like your soup still creamier, stir in some instant mashed potato flakes until the soup is the consistency you like.
- I love to add chopped cauliflower to this as well. Add about 1 to 2 cups along with the other vegetables.
- Sliced or quartered button mushrooms are great as well.
- 1 to 2 sliced parsnips add a sweetness to the soup.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com