Mutti's Fricasseed Fish
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
What's fricasseed fish, aka Fischfrikassee?
It's poached fish served in a cream sauce - a delicious way to cook cod, haddock, or sole!
Fricasseeing is a method of cooking whereby you cut meat or fish into pieces and then stew in gravy.
In this recipe, the fish is poached in a stock and then the stock is used to make a creamy gravy.
There's just something about having gravy that's so German!
Serve this with rice or boiled potatoes and cucumber salad for a traditional German meal.
Mutti's Fricasseed Fish Recipe
- 1¾ lbs fish fillets
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ lemon or 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- salt, pinch sugar
- ½ can sliced mushrooms (Mutti LOVED mushrooms!)
- dill to garnish
Put chopped carrot, leek, quartered onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, ½ tsp salt, and lemon into large saucepan. Add four cups of water and
stir. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from
- Place fish fillets into liquid in saucepan. Bring to gentle simmer and poach for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove fish and set aside.
- Strain poaching liquid and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Add 2½ cups strained poaching liquid and cream. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms. Season with salt and sugar.
- Cut fish into large pieces. Carefully place fish in sauce without breaking. Spoon sauce over fish. Garnish with chopped dill.
- Makes 4 - 6 servings.
- Use cod, sole, or haddock fillets
- Add ½ cup white wine to stock when poaching fish
- Add 1 Tbsp capers and small can of asparagus tips with the mushrooms
More Fish Recipes
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Schwenkbraten recipe that has been a delish hit an alle familien & freunde... Total Approx. Time: Prep: 15 min. + Marinating 8 hrs min. + Grill: 15 min.
Go to the recipe
My Oma made this cake every Christmas. She iced it with a white frosting that ran down the sides. She decorated it with little silver balls (candy). It
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person."
Proverbs 27:19 (NLT)