Mutti's Fricasseed Fish
What's fricasseed fish, aka Fischfrikassee?
It's poached fish served in a cream sauce - a delicious way to cook cod, haddock, or sole!
Fricasseeing is a method of cooking whereby you cut meat or fish into pieces and then stew in gravy.
In this recipe, the fish is poached in a stock and then the stock is used to make a creamy gravy.
There's just something about having gravy that's so German!
Serve this with rice or boiled potatoes and cucumber salad for a traditional German meal.
Mutti's Fricasseed Fish Recipe
- 1¾ lbs fish fillets
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ lemon or 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- salt, pinch sugar
- ½ can sliced mushrooms (Mutti LOVED mushrooms!)
- dill to garnish
Put chopped carrot, leek, quartered onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, ½ tsp salt, and lemon into large saucepan. Add four cups of water and
stir. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from
- Place fish fillets into liquid in saucepan. Bring to gentle simmer and poach for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove fish and set aside.
- Strain poaching liquid and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Add 2½ cups strained poaching liquid and cream. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms. Season with salt and sugar.
- Cut fish into large pieces. Carefully place fish in sauce without breaking. Spoon sauce over fish. Garnish with chopped dill.
- Makes 4 - 6 servings.
- Use cod, sole, or haddock fillets
- Add ½ cup white wine to stock when poaching fish
- Add 1 Tbsp capers and small can of asparagus tips with the mushrooms
More Fish Recipes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Words to the Wise
"As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person."
Proverbs 27:19 (NLT)