Oma's Best Clam Chowder Recipe❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
What's the best clam chowder recipe?
THIS ONE! From all the recipes using clams, this one is so easy to make. If you're looking for a seafood soup recipe that you can alter depending on what seafood you have, add this soup to your repertoire.
Want it lower in calories? Use milk instead of cream and use low-fat sour cream instead of regular sour cream.
Yes, although "Clam Chowder" is known as a famous American dish, in Germany it's called "Muschelsuppe" and is very popular as well.
There is no one original American recipe ... neither is there one original German recipe. Check out the note at the end to find out how to make this more German! I'll give you a hint ... it's not more cream ...
Give this easy recipe a try. I think you'll also call it the BEST clam chowder recipe you've had! Really! Wunderbar!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too!
There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms to the onions.
- For some extras spiciness, add 3 - 4 drops of hot pepper sauce.
- Replace ½ cup of chicken broth with dry white wine.
- Dice 5 slices of bacon and fry them until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling. Add to soup at the end. If you wish, you could fry the onions in the bacon fat. Extra yumminess!
If you're learning how to make chowder and want extra YUMMINESS? Add the GERMAN touch!
Dice 5 slices of bacon and fry them until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling. Add to soup at the end. If you wish, you could fry the onions in the bacon fat. Extra yumminess!
Oh, so creamy and so delicious! Even my hubby, a non-seafood lover, loved this!
Oma's Best Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 cans shucked or minced clams (5 oz or 6½ oz cans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups cubed potatoes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ lb haddock or cod fillets
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup sour cream
- parsley for garnish
- Drain clams, reserving juice.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the clam juice and chicken broth to the onions. Stir. Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Stir and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Cut fish fillets into bite-sized chunks. Add to soup along with the clams, basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Lower heat and slowly stir in whipping cream and sour cream, being careful that soup does not come to a boil. Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve, garnished with chopped parsley.
- Makes 6 servings
Want nutritional information? Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams, etc.? Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
Want a Rhubarb Cake recipe that tastes just like Oma's? Not too sweet, but wunderbar? Try my Rhubarb Streusel Cake that's super quick and easy to make.
Go to the recipe
This German red cabbage recipe uses apples to enhance the flavor. Super easy to make and tastes even better when reheated the next day. Definitely a favourite!
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that wins souls is wise."
Proverbs 11:30 (NLT)