Oma's Quick and Easy Whitefish Recipe
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
This easy whitefish recipe is a meal-in-one-pot, a German fish stew, aka Fischeintopf, that's sure to please.
In German, an "Eintopf " means "one pot" and that's what this recipe is. There are so many Eintopf recipes in Germany. And, particularly in northern Germany, fish is such a commonly used ingredient.
This fish stew uses a firm fleshed fish - whiting or cod are ideal, but any other will do as well.
When you choose your fish fillets, check carefully that they have no bones. If they do, use tweezers to remove them.
You can vary the amount of vegetables according to your likes and what's available or what's in your fridge.
In this dish, the fish is almost 'steamed' on top of a bed of veggies. Wunderbar!
Oma's Easy German Fish Stew
- 2 lbs white fish fillets
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1½ lbs potatoes, cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- Wash and dry fish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Season with salt. Cover and let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- In large pot, fry bacon. Once browned, add onion, leek, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Continue to brown for several minutes.
- Add paprika and parsley. Add 1¼ cups water, stir, and bring to boil.
- Cut the fish fillets into serving sizes and lay on top of the vegetables in the pot.
Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. Cover, lower heat and continue to
simmer another 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender and fish flakes.
Add extra water if needed.
- Serves 4
More Fish Recipes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
* * * * *
Words to the Wise
"The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense."
Proverbs 27:9 (NLT)