Oma's Cauliflower Soup Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
Here's a cauliflower soup recipe that you can adjust to your liking. Make it creamy. Make it chunky. Make it either way and you'll get rave reviews for this vegetarian soup recipe.
This is a new soup for me. It's from an old, old German recipe for Blumenkohlsuppe.
Hubby says, "Hmmmm ... this is GOOD!" Will definitely make this again and again. Not just because it's so good, but it's so easy to make. Isn't that the whole idea behind this website? Quick German recipes. Well, this is one of them!
Now, if you're looking for a vegan cauliflower soup, then you really need to check out my daughter-in-law Sylvie's version of her creamy 'cheesy' vegan cauliflower soup. It's creamy, it's 'cheesy', it's rich, and quite easy to make.
I love using my cauliflower soup as a starter course for a dinner party. It has that taste of elegance. This is one of the great vegetable soups you can make when you've got an abundance of veggies.
Even veggies that are starting to be past their prime. Perhaps you've had a very successful trip to the Farmer's Market and want to enjoy something just a tad special with all those cauliflowers you bought.
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too!
There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- If you do not have a immersible stick blender, and you want a real cream of cauliflower soup, you can put the cooked cauliflower with a bit of the cooking liquid into a blender before returning it to the soup.
- Season with some nutmeg if desired.
- Try adding a touch of lemon juice to season at the end. (Thanks to Elke Miller for suggesting this!)
Nutmeg is a traditional seasoning used with cauliflower in Germany. Adds an extra layer of flavour.
If my cauliflower head is larger, I'll just add enough water to cover and increase the butter/flour
Ready to enjoy some Cauliflower Soup?
Oma's Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Here's a cauliflower soup recipe, aka Blumenkohlsuppe, that you can adjust to your liking. Make it creamy. Make it chunky. Make it either way and you'll get rave reviews for this vegetarian soup recipe.
With its taste of elegance, it's a perfect starter course for a dinner party.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small cauliflower (about 1 lb)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cream (10% or higher)
- salt and pepper
- Wash and trim cauliflower. Cut into small florets. Place into medium-sized pot and just cover with water. Add about 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and let cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain into a sieve, keeping the cooking liquid.
- In the same pot, heat the butter to melting. Add flour and stir. Cook for about a minute (do not let it brown).
- Stir in about 4 cups of the hot cooking liquid. Bring to boil and let simmer for several minutes and then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile mix together the egg yolk and cream. Take about ¼ cup of the hot soup and stir into egg yolk/cream mixture to 'temper' it.
- Stir the egg yolk mixture back into the soup. Add the cooked cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make it creamy, use a immersible stick blender and blend to desired creaminess.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
Looking for a German blueberry cake that's so easy to make and so delicious? Look no further. It's here!
Go to the recipe
This easy recipe for sauerkraut is a staple in our German menu. Delicious with almost anything! This sauerkraut recipe can also be made VEGAN!
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Wise people think before they act, fools don't -- and even brag about their foolishness."
Proverbs 13:16 (NLT)