Oma's Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Here's a cauliflower soup recipe, aka Blumenkohlsuppe, that you can adjust to your liking. Make it creamy. Make it chunky. Make it either way and you'll get rave reviews for this vegetarian soup recipe.
With its taste of elegance, it's a perfect starter course for a dinner party.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small cauliflower (about 1 lb)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cream (10% or higher)
- salt and pepper
- Wash and trim cauliflower. Cut into small florets. Place into medium-sized pot and just cover with water. Add about 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and let cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain into a sieve, keeping the cooking liquid.
- In the same pot, heat the butter to melting. Add flour and stir. Cook for about a minute (do not let it brown).
- Stir in about 4 cups of the hot cooking liquid. Bring to boil and let simmer for several minutes and then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile mix together the egg yolk and cream. Take about ¼ cup of the hot soup and stir into egg yolk/cream mixture to 'temper' it.
- Stir the egg yolk mixture back into the soup. Add the cooked cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make it creamy, use a immersible stick blender and blend to desired creaminess.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com