Oma's Apfelpastete aka Apple Galette aka Flat Strudel!
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This Apfelpastete is as easy Apple Pie. Make this Apple Galette using frozen butter puff pastry. It tastes divine. In fact, it tastes just like an Apple Strudel!
That's right. Apple Strudel!
In fact, this is really all just the same recipe, just different shapes turning it into an international dessert. The only real difference is the shape.
A galette is a free-form pie and it sounds so elegant. So French-like. The best part is that it's quick and easy. And, it becomes a great tasting German dessert! German food at its best!
- Apple desserts come in a variety of types such as apple strudel, apple pie, apple crumble, apple crisp, apple cake, apple galette, applesauce cake, apple cheesecake, etc.
- Although any type of apple can be used when cooking and baking, certain types are better for cakes since they keep their shape longer
- The best apples to use are those that are both sweet and tart. Mackintosh, Cortlands, Empires, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, and Mutsu are especially wonderful when used in cakes and strudels
How to make this a Caramel Apple Galette ...
I altered the original recipe after discovering my daughter-in-love, Sylvie, loved caramel. I needed a dessert for her birthday and this Caramel Apple Galette was it.
I added two tablespoons of melted butter and eight quartered caramels because I knew Sylvie loved caramels. Apples and caramels go together so nicely. Think of caramel apples. So good.
"Galette" is a French term for a flat, round, or free-form tart.
Instead of the usual pie crust, the filling, and then a topping of pie crust, the pastry is rolled out, the filling put in, and the edge is just folded over the outside part of the tart.
I've made this before using a regular pie crust, but using frozen puff pastry that's been thawed is super easy and the resulting galette is DELICIOUS!
Easy dough. Easy shaping. Easily among the best easy apple recipes!
Ready to make this apple galette?
Oma's Easy Apple Pie, aka Galette, aka flat Strudel
Want an easy apple pie? Make this Apple Galette using frozen butter puff pastry. It tastes divine. In fact, it tastes just like an apple strudel! In
fact, the only real difference is
A galette is a free-form pie and it sounds so elegant. So French-like. The best part is that it's so quick and easy.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- ½ lb frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Line cookie sheet with baking parchment paper.
- Roll puff pastry out into a 10" square and put on cookie sheet.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon to the apple slices and mix gently.
- Pile the apple filling in the center of the puff pastry leaving 2" around the edge free.
up the outside edge of the pastry, over the outer edge of the apples,
leaving the center part uncovered, folding the pastry as needed (See photo).
- Beat the egg. Brush it on the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.
- Bake 25 - 35 minutes, until the apples are soft and the pastry is golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Topping the galette with sliced almonds before baking is really nice
- I added 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 8 unwrapped and quartered caramels.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Make this chicken fricassee recipe and you'll think you're back in Oma's kitchen. German comfort food. Originally just a 'leftover' meal, now it graces the best restaurant menus.
Go to the recipe
Oma's TOP 10 German foods that will have you thinking you're back in your Omas kitchen in Germany. Cooking and baking together, but best of all, making memories!
Go to the recipe
This German apple cake always looks amazing and tastes scrumptious! So quick and easy to make, it's just like Oma's versunkener Apfelkuchen served fresh from the oven.
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
PIN this ...
Easy Apple Pie (Apple Galette) baked Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Want an easy apple pie? Make this Apple Galette using frozen puff pastry. It tastes divine. In fact, it tastes just like an apple strudel!
Ingredients: frozen puff pastry,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"There are 'friends' who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24 (NLT)