Oma's Easy Apple Pie, aka Galette, aka flat Strudel
Want an easy apple pie? Make this Apple Galette using frozen butter puff pastry. It tastes divine. In fact, it tastes just like an apple strudel! In
fact, the only real difference is
A galette is a free-form pie and it sounds so elegant. So French-like. The best part is that it's so quick and easy.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- ½ lb frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Line cookie sheet with baking parchment paper.
- Roll puff pastry out into a 10" square and put on cookie sheet.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon to the apple slices and mix gently.
- Pile the apple filling in the center of the puff pastry leaving 2" around the edge free.
up the outside edge of the pastry, over the outer edge of the apples,
leaving the center part uncovered, folding the pastry as needed (See photo).
- Beat the egg. Brush it on the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.
- Bake 25 - 35 minutes, until the apples are soft and the pastry is golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Topping the galette with sliced almonds before baking is really nice
- I added 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 8 unwrapped and quartered caramels.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com