Mutti's Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This slow cooker pot roast recipe, aka Rinderschmorbraten im Langsamkocher, is so quick to put together in the morning. It's an easy way how to make pot roast that will have dinner ready, almost the moment you walk in the door.
Use a beef rump roast or a chuck roast, well-trimmed of fat. A 3 to 3½ pound roast, together with the vegetables, will make about 6 - 8 servings.
Just want to make one very important point. This may not be an original German recipe ... although it tastes like one. Why? Slow cookers are very, very uncommon in Germany!
This recipe is my Mutti's adaptations of her traditional beef roast once she got one here in Canada.
Above, I omitted the potatoes. Then, I used my immersion blender to blend the rest of the cooked veggies into the sauce. The sauce needed a bit more thickening, so I used a bit of the corn starch slurry. So good!
Grab your copy of Oma's German Slow Cooker Recipes written in English just for you to enjoy:
Sharing traditional German foods, made using easily available ingredients, ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage.
Mutti's tips on this ...
- Often, she browned the meat first when using slowcooker recipes. It does add to the flavor, but in this case, it really isn't necessary, unless you really, really want to.
- Even faster, she's put everything (except the potatoes) in the pot in the evening and keep in fridge.
- In the morning, she'd add the potatoes (pushing them to the bottom so they are covered in liquid) and then turn the slow cooker on.
Quick crockpot recipes make it easy to have dinner ready especially on those hectic days. This pot roast is one that works great for company as well on those busy days.
Ready to make Mutti's pot roast recipe?
Mutti's Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
This slow cooker pot roast recipe, aka Rinderschmorbraten im Langsamkocher, is so quick to put together in the morning. Use a beef rump roast or a chuck roast, well-trimmed of fat. A 3 to 3½ pound roast, together with the vegetables, will make about 6 - 8 servings.
Slow Cook Time
8 - 9 hours
8.3 - 9.3 hours
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 3 to 3½ lb roast, see above
- 1 tsp salt or seasoning salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 - 6 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into chunks
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Rub all sides of meat with salt and pepper.
- Put all vegetables into bottom of slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Put seasoned meat on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables. Pour liquid from slow cooker into saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in ¼ cup water and slowly stir just enough into liquid until thickened.
- Season gravy with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with meat and vegetables.
- Vary the quantities of vegetables according to your taste.
- Use 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water for the beef broth if needed.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Dumplings and noodles, both sweet and savory, are such a German traditional food. Follow along step-by-step and you’ll soon be enjoying German food made just like Oma.
Go to the recipe
I was searching for this recipe on Pinterest and found this one on YouTube as a tutorial. Am very pleased how they turned out, would have made my mother-in-law
Go to the recipe
How to make cashew cream is really quite simple. At its most basic, it is a combination of cashews, water, and salt. Cashew cream is one of the many delicious dairy-free recipes made with cashews.
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
PIN this ...
Words to the Wise
"Fools make fun of guilt, but the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation."
Proverbs 14:9 (NLT)