Gerhild's Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
This homemade ice cream recipe is so-o-o good. Using this recipe, you can also create a traditional German 3-layer Ice Cream Torte.
Below the basic chocolate ice cream recipe, you'll find the recipe for a 3-layer Ice Cream Torte.
It'll take a bit longer -- it uses three times the basic recipe -- so you'll have a good sized torte for yourself and company. Leftovers are easily stored in the freezer.
I think you'll agree this is a special dessert.
If you've never made ice cream, or thought you needed a special ice cream maker, this recipe teaches you an easy way how to make ice cream.
All you need is a freezer to freeze this ice cream - no special tools.
Gerhild's Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2.6 oz (75 gm) unsweetened chocolate
- 8 Tbsp whipping cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- pinch salt
- Melt chocolate and remove from heat. Stir in 8 Tbsp whipping cream and mix. Let cool.
- Separate eggs. Mix 2 egg yolks with honey. Mix into chocolate mixture.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff, adding a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip 2 cups whipping cream until stiff.
- Gently mix together the chocolate mixture, the egg whites, and the whipped cream.
- Put into a freezer container (sealable) and freeze until firm.
- The 8 Tbsp whipping cream for mixing with the chocolate can come from the 2 cups of whipping cream.
Homemade 3-Layer Ice Cream Cake
- 1 recipe as above
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 package frozen raspberries
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 tsp vanilla (to taste)
- Make the raspberry layer by adding frozen raspberries to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put raspberry ice into bottom of Bundt pan, cover, and put into freezer.
- Make vanilla layer by adding vanilla (to taste) to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put vanilla ice over raspberry ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Make chocolate ice as above recipe.
- Put chocolate ice on top of vanilla ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Freeze till solid.
- To serve, place Bundt pan briefly in warm water. Invert onto serving platter and decorate.
I want to give credit for this awesome recipe. Check out the "Gerhild's" tab to see the uniqueness of the name "Gerhild" and you'll discover this recipe "Selbstgemachtes Eis" as the recipe sent in German by Gerhild Verch from Essen, Germany. (Below it, you'll find the translated version of this homemade ice cream recipe,
complete with the weight/volume conversions for the ingredients.
Some more German Desserts
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
* * * * *
Words to the Wise
"Don’t brag about tomorrow, since you don’t know what the day will bring."
Proverbs 27:1 (NLT)