Gerhild's Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This homemade ice cream recipe is so-o-o good. Using this recipe, you can also create a traditional German 3-Layer Ice Cream Torte.
Below the basic chocolate ice cream recipe, you'll find the recipe for a 3-Layer Ice Cream Torte.
It'll take a bit longer -- it uses three times the basic recipe -- so you'll have a good sized torte for yourself and company. Leftovers are easily stored in the freezer.
For the full list of ingredients & detailed instructions, see the recipe card at the end of this post. But before you scroll, there’s important & interesting stuff to know right below.
I think you'll agree this is a special dessert.
If you've never made ice cream, or thought you needed a special ice cream maker, this recipe teaches you an easy way how to make ice cream.
All you need is a freezer to freeze this ice cream - no special tools.
I want to give credit for this awesome recipe.
Check out the "Gerhild's" tab to see the uniqueness of the name "Gerhild" and you'll discover this recipe "Selbstgemachtes Eis" as the recipe sent in German by Gerhild Verch from Essen, Germany.
(Below it, you'll find the translated version of this homemade ice cream recipe,
complete with the weight/volume conversions for the ingredients.)
Ready to make ice cream?
Gerhild's Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
If you've never made ice cream, or thought you needed a special ice cream maker, this recipe teaches you a way how to make it, German-style.
20 minutes + freeze time
- 2.6 ounces (75 gram) unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- pinch salt
- Melt chocolate and remove from heat. Stir in 8 tablespoons whipping cream and mix. Let cool.
- Separate eggs. Mix 2 egg yolks with honey. Mix into chocolate mixture.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff, adding a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip 2 cups whipping cream until stiff.
- Gently mix together the chocolate mixture, the egg whites, and the whipped cream.
- Put into a freezer container (sealable) and freeze until firm.
To make 3-layer Ice Cream Cake:
- 1 recipe as above
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 package frozen raspberries
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 teaspoon vanilla (to taste)
- Make the raspberry layer by adding frozen raspberries to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put raspberry ice into bottom of Bundt pan, cover, and put into freezer.
- Make vanilla layer by adding vanilla (to taste) to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put vanilla ice over raspberry ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Make chocolate ice as above recipe.
- Put chocolate ice on top of vanilla ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Freeze till solid.
- To serve, place Bundt pan briefly in warm water. Invert onto serving platter and decorate.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Make this slow cooker roast beef and be amazed how much this tastes like rouladen WITHOUT the work. Same wonderful gravy, tender meat, and perfect for family and guests.
Go to the recipe
This German streusel fruit tart, Obstkuchen mit Streusel, uses either fresh or canned fruit, such as apricots, peaches, cherries. A delicious treat, just like Oma bakes.
Go to the recipe
German sauerkraut salad is so easy, delicious, and goes with almost anything. It’s super healthy when made with your homemade sauerkraut that's so easy to make, as well.
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
Homemade Ice Cream Recipe made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
This homemade Ice Cream recipe is so-o-o good. You can also make this into a German 3-layer Ice Cream Torte.
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Don’t brag about tomorrow, since you don’t know what the day will bring."
Proverbs 27:1 (NLT)