Gerhild's Homemade Ice Cream Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This homemade ice cream recipe is so-o-o good. Using this recipe, you can also create a traditional German 3-Layer Ice Cream Torte.
Below the basic chocolate ice cream recipe, you'll find the recipe for a 3-Layer Ice Cream Torte.
It'll take a bit longer -- it uses three times the basic recipe -- so you'll have a good sized torte for yourself and company. Leftovers are easily stored in the freezer.
I think you'll agree this is a special dessert.
If you've never made ice cream, or thought you needed a special ice cream maker, this recipe teaches you an easy way how to make ice cream.
All you need is a freezer to freeze this ice cream - no special tools.
I want to give credit for this awesome recipe.
Check out the "Gerhild's" tab to see the uniqueness of the name "Gerhild" and you'll discover this recipe "Selbstgemachtes Eis" as the recipe sent in German by Gerhild Verch from Essen, Germany.
(Below it, you'll find the translated version of this homemade ice cream recipe,
complete with the weight/volume conversions for the ingredients.)
Ready to make ice cream?
Gerhild's Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
If you've never made ice cream, or thought you needed a special ice cream maker, this recipe teaches you a way how to make it, German-style.
20 minutes + freeze time
- 2.6 oz (75 gm) unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- pinch salt
- Melt chocolate and remove from heat. Stir in 8 tbsp whipping cream and mix. Let cool.
- Separate eggs. Mix 2 egg yolks with honey. Mix into chocolate mixture.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff, adding a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip 2 cups whipping cream until stiff.
- Gently mix together the chocolate mixture, the egg whites, and the whipped cream.
- Put into a freezer container (sealable) and freeze until firm.
To make 3-layer Ice Cream Cake:
- 1 recipe as above
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 package frozen raspberries
- 1 recipe as above minus chocolate mixture. Instead 1 tsp vanilla (to taste)
- Make the raspberry layer by adding frozen raspberries to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put raspberry ice into bottom of Bundt pan, cover, and put into freezer.
- Make vanilla layer by adding vanilla (to taste) to beaten egg white/whipped cream mixture.
- Put vanilla ice over raspberry ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Make chocolate ice as above recipe.
- Put chocolate ice on top of vanilla ice in Bundt pan, cover, and return to freezer.
- Freeze till solid.
- To serve, place Bundt pan briefly in warm water. Invert onto serving platter and decorate.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Grab a copy of my own German Cake e-Cookbook in English to help you relive wonderful memories of Oma's kitchen.
Sharing traditional German cakes, made using easily available ingredients, ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our heritage.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
If you love hummus, then you’ll love this creamy hummus salad dressing recipe! It’s just like the real deal, but in liquid form so you can drizzle it all over your favorite greens ...
Go to the recipe
This recipe for creamy vegan mushroom soup is inspired in part by Oma's German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood eating this classic comfort food.
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Don’t brag about tomorrow, since you don’t know what the day will bring."
Proverbs 27:1 (NLT)