Oma's Frozen Fruit Dessert ~ Heiss und Eis
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
This frozen fruit dessert, aka Heiss und Eis, is such an easy and quick treat
to make. It's a favorite among the easy, quick dessert recipes. If you
have frozen fruit and ice cream in the freezer, you can make this treat in a
matter of minutes.
Traditionally, Heiss und Eis is made with red fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, individually or in combination.
More Hints for this Dessert ...
- Quantities for this fruit dessert do not have to be exact. Adjust as you wish. That's what makes this one of those easy dessert ideas that doesn't really need a cookbook. Scoop ice cream into serving dishes. Pour hot fruit sauce over top. Enjoy!
- Personally, a really good quality vanilla ice cream is best. To me, that's actually quite something, because I really don't like vanilla ice cream. Give me a chocolate ice cream any day. But for this "frozen fruit" dessert, vanilla's best.
- However, when using strawberries, nothing beats chocolate ice cream! I'm sure you'll come up with your own favorite combinations as well.
Heiss und Eis (pronounced 'hice and ice'), meaning Hot and Ice, is the actual German name for this treat.
I never knew its name as I was growing up.
For us it was just "ice cream and fruit sauce." Usually, the sauce is served hot over the ice cream. However, if you wish, you can let the sauce cool.
Ready for some Eis und Heiss?
Oma's Frozen Fruit Dessert: Eis und Heiss
This frozen fruit dessert, aka Heiss und Eis, is such an easy and quick treat to make. It's a favorite among the easy, quick dessert recipes. If you have frozen fruit and ice cream in the freezer, you can make this treat in a matter of minutes.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups frozen fruit
- 2 cups juice, see hints below
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Ice cream - flavor of your choice - enough for 4 servings
- Put frozen fruit into saucepan. Cover with juice.
- Bring to simmer. Simmer until fruit is thawed and hot. Occasionally stir gently.
- Mix cornstarch with a little water. Slowly stir just enough into simmering fruit until it is the proper consistency - like a sauce.
- Add a little lemon juice and/or sugar if needed.
- Serve hot over ice cream.
- In the picture above, instead of a totally frozen fruit dessert, I used a 28 oz can of sliced peaches with its juice, ⅓ can frozen peach concentrate (to increase peach flavor), 1 cup frozen raspberries and 1 tbsp lime juice. Delicious and pretty.
- A strong flavored juice is preferable. Choose one that will complement the fruit. If the resulting sauce needs a bit more flavor, add some lemon juice and sweeten with sugar.
- The leftovers, served the next day, were totally red. The peaches had taken on the red color. So, for color contrast, make just before serving. The leftovers, heated in the microwave, tasted just as good, though.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Oma's Cream Roll recipe, Biskuitrolle, is the German version of a Swiss roll or jelly roll. Filled with whipped cream and studded with berries, this is an easy-to-make treat anytime of the year.
Go to the recipe
Make this pan roasted carrot recipe when you're wanting quick and easy carrots just like this German Oma makes them. Similar to oven roasted, just quicker. YUM!
Go to the recipe
Cooking green beans, German-style, makes a wonderful side dish for almost any meal. Cooking the grüne Bohnen till just tender with a creamy white sauce is so traditional and so lecker!
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
PIN this ...
Frozen Fruit Dessert (Heiss und Eis) Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
This frozen fruit dessert (Heiss und Eis) is a favorite among my quick, easy dessert recipes. It uses frozen fruit made into a hot sauce that's poured over ice cream. Yummy!
Ingredients: frozen fruit,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes."
Proverbs 19:1 (NLT)