Mutti's Beef Noodle Soup
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
Beef noodle soup, aka Rinder-Nudelsuppe, either made with egg noodles or small pasta shapes, is such an easy and hearty soup to make. Kids love it! Adults love it! You'll love it!
Great recipes like this get handed down from generation to generation. This rich beef broth with egg noodles was one of my Mutti's best soups that she learned from her Mutti.
And, NOW, I'm handing it down to you!
Do check out the many variations given in the "a bit of this and a bit of that" below this soup recipe.
You'll find that you'll be able to add so many different ingredients to this soup ... it's my favorite way to clean out the crisper.
Grab your copy of my own German Soup e-Cookbook in English. You'll LOVE it!
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Want a different soup? Add a can of diced tomatoes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- As with most recipes using beef in soups, you can use almost any cut of beef, especially if it has bones and a good marbling of fat. I like to use bottom blade, but if something else is on sale, I'll use that.
- Looking for recipes with noodles, or pasta, or macaroni? This one can use any of those.
- Have some tired-looking veggies in the crisper? Cauliflower? Mushrooms? Spinach? Lettuce? Radishes? Yes, they all work.
I love to add other veggies to the soup as well.
In the pictured soup, I've added some chopped cauliflower. Sliced mushrooms would be nice as well. At other times, I've even added a package of frozen chopped spinach. A can of kale would be great as well :-)
The broth is so rich tasting. Little did I know it was so easy to make this German soup using boiled beef. My boys loved it when I added alphabet pasta (macaroni) or other shaped pastas. New shape, new soup!
Why not turn this recipe into your very own version?!?
Mutti's Beef Noodle Soup
Beef noodle soup, aka Rinder-Nudelsuppe, either made with egg
noodles or small pasta shapes, is such an easy and hearty soup to make.
This rich beef broth
with egg noodles was one of my Mutti's best soups that she learned from
her Mutti. And, NOW, I'm handing it down to you!
Makes 6 servings
- 2½ lb beef roast, preferably with bone
- 3 - 4 carrots, scraped or peeled, large chunks
- bottom end of celery and the top leaves
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup pasta shells (or noodles)
- salt, pepper, fresh parsley, Maggi (optional)
- Trim away most of the fat from the roast, but keep the bones which add flavor to the soup.
meat, carrot chunks, bottom and leaves of celery, onion, salt,
peppercorns, bay leaves, and water into a large soup pot.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat, cool, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Strain broth and return broth to pot.
- Add chopped carrots and celery.
- Bring to boil, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes. Add pasta or
noodles. Add cooked meat. Simmer until pasta or noodles are tender,
according to package instructions, usually about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and Maggi (optional)
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
PIN this ...
If you love hummus, then you’ll love this creamy hummus salad dressing recipe! It’s just like the real deal, but in liquid form so you can drizzle it all over your favorite greens ...
Go to the recipe
This recipe for creamy vegan mushroom soup is inspired in part by Oma's German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood eating this classic comfort food.
Go to the recipe
Beef Noodle Soup made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Beef noodle soup, either made with egg noodles or small pasta shapes, is such an easy and hearty soup to make. Kids love it! Adults love it!
Ingredients: beef roast,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Don't envy evil people or desire their company. For their hearts plot violence, and their words always stir up trouble."
Proverbs 24:1-2 (NLT)