Oma's Best Apple Crisp Recipe
This is the best apple crisp recipe with oatmeal that I've found Juicy, easy, healthy, quick - what more could one want? The usual way of making apple crisp uses all-purpose flour and quick-cooking oats. For healthier I began using whole wheat flour and old-fashioned rolled oats. Not only healthier, but this German-style apple dessert has a nuttier taste. Delicious!
Check below why I say this is my Germanized version for this all-American Apple Crisp!
Oma's Best Apple Crisp Recipe
- 4 - 5 large apples, peeled and sliced (for types, see below)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (if needed)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp almond flavouring (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice with apple slices. Pour into 8-in. baking dish.
- Mix rest of the ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake until apples are tender and crumbs are browned, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold - serves 4
- Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream - Yummy! This makes this the BEST apple crisp recipe there is!
- All-purpose flour can be used instead of whole wheat.
- You can also use a 9" round casserole dish.
This is my "Germanized" version. I love marzipan -- something so traditionally German. Adding almond flavoring to almost anything baked gives it that "marzipan-y" taste!
I added a bit of almond flavoring to the melted butter in order to distribute it well in the crumbly topping. Wow, what an improvement! For me, this now becomes a German recipe for apple crisp! Why not give it a try?
Depending on the sweetness of the apples, you can omit the added sugar to the apples and lower the amount of brown sugar in the topping. As a treat, instead of the sugar added to the apples, I've drizzled about 2 tbsp. of maple syrup over instead. Then to the oat mixture, I've added 1/2 cup chopped almonds. Pecans work great as well.
- When choosing apples, the best are those with a nice sweet-tart
- Sometimes a mixture of apple varieties makes for a super
- Some varieties to try, either alone or in combination
are Cortlands, Empire (which are a cross between a Red Delicious and
McIntosh), Mutsu or Crispin, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, and Jonathan.
- The Granny Smith (my favorite eating apple) is very crisp and quite
tart. I particularly like to use it in a mixture of apples for this
recipe for apple crisp.
As you can see, recipes with apples can be altered so easily by changing the apples and the methods of sweetening them.
The final dessert, even when using the same recipe, can be different every time if you want.
More German Desserts ...
More German Recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Best Apple Crisp Recipe
Words of Wisdom
"Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish."
Proverbs 18:13 (NLT)