Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
Here's my slow cooker pot roast served with potato dumplings and red cabbage with lots of gravy!
This slow cooker pot roast recipe, aka Rinderschmorbraten im Langsamkocher, is so quick to put together in the morning. It's an easy way how to make pot roast that will have dinner ready, almost the moment you walk in the door. Use a beef rump roast or a chuck roast, well-trimmed of fat. A 3 to 3 1/2 pound roast, together with the vegetables, will make about 6 - 8 servings.
Just want to make one very important point. This may not be an original German recipe ... although it tastes like one. Why? Slow cookers are very, very uncommon in Germany! This recipe is my Mutti's adaptations of her traditional beef roast once she got one here in Canada.
I love using my new Cuisinart Slow Cooker!
Not only is it a slow cooker, but it's a Multicooker!
That means it can be used to quickly brown or sauté the meat (up to 400 °F) before setting it to slow cook (at various temps) ... and there's a 'steam' option!
With a 24-hour timer and an automatic Keep Warm feature, I LOVE this!
Mutti's Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 to 3 1/2 lb roast, see above
- 1 tsp salt or seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 - 6 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into chunks
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Rub all sides of meat with salt and pepper.
- Put all vegetables into bottom of slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Put seasoned meat on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables. Pour liquid from slow cooker into saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and slowly stir just enough into liquid until thickened.
- Season gravy with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with meat and vegetables.
- Vary the quantities of vegetables according to your taste.
- Use 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water for the beef broth if needed.
Mutti's tips on this ...
- Often, she browned the meat first when using slowcooker recipes. It does add to the flavor, but in this case, it really isn't necessary, unless you really, really want to.
- Even faster, she's put everything (except the potatoes) in the pot in the evening and keep in fridge.
- In the morning, she'd add the potatoes (pushing them to the bottom so they are covered in liquid) and then turn the slow cooker on.
Quick crockpot recipes make it easy to have dinner ready especially on those hectic days. This pot roast is one that works great for company as well on those busy days.
More Beef Recipes
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
Slow Cooker Recipes
Words to the Wise
"Fools make fun of guilt, but the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation."
Proverbs 14:9 (NLT)