Holly's Recipe for Rye Bread ❤️
Holly's recipe for Rye Bread is so easy to literally throw together. Just need a bit of time to wait for rising and baking and you'll soon be enjoying this fresh German-style bread!
Holly Harder, one of our German foodie fans, posted her recipe onto the Facebook page, saying, "As I was eating this yummy rye bread, I wondered who else would think it easier to bake a loaf than get the car out to drive to store and buy a loaf and I thought: Quick German Recipes Oma!!"
Holly adds, "This simple recipe should not be over thought. Try it and enjoy the first loaf, before you start adjusting recipe."
Let me introduce you to Holly Harder!
Holly Harder and her Dachshunds
I love that Holly shared her recipe for rye bread with all our fans over on my Facebook page.
It's such a great place for everyone to share and ask questions about almost anything German.
If you haven't yet joined our community of German foodie fans, please do so.
You are welcome to participate, share recipes and photos, and ask questions.
When you go there, please make sure you set the notifications so that the posts will show in your newsfeed. That way you'll be kept up-to-date with all the fun stuff that's happening there every day.
Ready to make Holly's Rye Bread?
Holly's Recipe for Rye Bread
Holly's recipe for Rye Bread, aka Roggenbrot, is so easy to literally throw together. Just need a bit of time to wait for rising and baking and you'll soon be enjoying this fresh German-style bread!
60 min + 18 hours rise time
Sift together into a large bowl:
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp caraway seed
Using a 2-cup glass measuring cup, pour in
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- then add water to the 14-oz line
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix with fork a few times.
- Put bowl in plastic bag for 12 - 18 hours at room temperature.
- Two hours before baking: Fold dough six times and put the ball of dough back in bowl with plastic bag.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 450°F with heavy 2-quart lidded casserole dish in the oven for 30 minutes.
- When oven is hot and casserole dish is hot, remove the dough from the bowl, roll gently in flour and place into the hot dish.
- Cut an X into ball of dough on top with scissors or sharp blade. Replace hot lid carefully and place covered casserole dish into hot oven.
- Bake 35 minutes at 450°F; then remove lid and bake another 10 minutes at 450°F.
- Let set at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- "I use my old lidded 1.5 qt Corning Ware casserole ~ Roll dough in flour and place in hot pan - etc." - Holly
- "If you cut bread when it is HOT, the steam will ruin the inside and make it sticky nasty." - Holly
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
When it's time for Christmas, baking is at the forefront of preparations. In Germany, this often starts in October! But, even just the day before works! Here's my collection of favorites in my Christmas Baking e-Cookbook written in English:
Sharing traditional German Christmas baking, made using easily available ingredients, ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our heritage anytime of the year.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
PIN this ...
If you love hummus, then you’ll love this creamy hummus salad dressing recipe! It’s just like the real deal, but in liquid form so you can drizzle it all over your favorite greens ...
Go to the recipe
This recipe for creamy vegan mushroom soup is inspired in part by Oma's German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood eating this classic comfort food.
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise:
"The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain; those who accept it avoid the snares of death."
Proverbs 13:14 (NLT)