Oma's Creamed Spinach Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
My creamed spinach recipe, aka Spinat, is one I'm sure your family will love. Among easy spinach recipes, this one's really delicious and nutritious. Why not make it often? German menus often feature creamed chopped spinach. Usually seasoned with nutmeg, the spinach cooking water and milk are used to make the cream sauce. Want a richer sauce? Then use just cream or a mixture of cream and milk. Sure, this increases the calorie count.
But, surely, that's offset by all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber! Creamed Spinach ... a German treat! I'm sharing two recipes. The second one is what I do when I'm in a REAL HURRY!
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
Try the variations given in the hints below the recipes. You're sure to find one way of how to cook spinach that pleases your taste buds!
One very common way to serve this dish is to combine it on a plate with boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs and mustard sauce. A really quick and easy dinner.
Think of Popeye! He knew what was good for him! After all, spinach is a good source of niacin and zinc and a very good source of dietary fiber. It also has protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese ... to name a few!
Yes, Popeye knew a thing or two about eating healthy!
1. German Creamed Spinach Recipe ❤️
- 3 lbs fresh spinach
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ clove garlic, chopped
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Bring water and ½ tsp salt to boil. Add washed spinach and cook about 5 minutes.
- Drain well, keeping liquid.
- Finely chop spinach.
- Heat butter in sauce pan, stir in flour. Saute over low heat for about 2 - 3 minutes, stirring continually.
- Add ½ cup reserved hot cooking liquid and ½ cup milk. Stir with whisk over low heat until smooth.
- Add garlic and simmer sauce about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and heat thoroughly.
- Use ½ cup cream instead of ½ cup reserved cooking liquid for sauce.
- Use only 1 cup cream (half and half) for sauce.
- Use 1 tbsp chopped onion instead of garlic, or omit.
- Use 2 - 3 packages of well-drained frozen chopped spinach instead of fresh.
- Add some diced fried bacon (bacon bits) or diced smoked sausage.
2. Oma's Quick Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 3 packages (300 oz each) frozen chopped spinach
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 - 3 tbsp butter
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Place frozen spinach into a saucepan and add just enough water to cover bottom of pan about ½ inch.
- Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer. Slowly stir as spinach starts to thaw. Once thawed (it will only take a few minutes), let it simmer for several minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in a bit of water. Slowly add just enough to spinach so that it thickens as much as you'd like. Stir in butter until it melts.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Serves 4
- Add some bacon bits as the spinach simmers.
- Serve with boiled potatoes (put these on to cook just before you start the spinach). Fry eggs just as you're finished making the spinach.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
Thinking of starting your own Handmade Business?
This Oma KNOWS you CAN do it.
How do I know?
Well, if I can do it, anyone can.
I've even figured out how I can help you.
I've teamed up with my own business coach, Renae Christine (yes, do google her!), to bring you this free masterclass. After you watch it, ask me any questions and I'll gladly answer them.
Don't hesitate. I'm not sure how long Renae will keep this free masterclass available.
PS: Yes, Renae really is as amazing as all the reviews say.
PPS: Yes, the course is for handmade items, but I've used it successfully for my cookbooks. I know others are using her methods for services, direct sales, and even a local ice cream bar & grill that's constantly selling out. You've nothing to lose by taking a look ... and a whole bunch to gain.
* * * * *
Oma's Cookbooks (downloadable & print)
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Try this slow cooker roast beef and you'll be amazed at how much this tastes like rouladen WITHOUT the work.
Go to the recipe
Learn how to cook pork hocks, anytime you want something traditionally German and wonderfully delicious! A hearty meal for any time of the year!
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"A lazy person's way is blocked with briers, but the path of the upright is an open highway."
Proverbs 15:19 (NLT)
❤️ German Creamed Spinach Recipe made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
This easy German creamed spinach recipe is one your family will love. Delicious and nutritious, why not make it often?
For the full recipe, scroll up ...