Oma's Coconut Bar Recipe with Pecans ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy Coconut Bar recipe is one of my favorite holiday baking recipes. Somehow, combining coconut and pecans just screams celebration! There is really nothing much easier than using squares recipes to make lots of goodies for Christmas, Easter, birthdays, or any other occasion. It's a non-German recipe that reminds me so much of my Mutti's Kokosnuss-schnitten.
Pretty as well is when they are cut into triangles and the edges dunked in chocolate. Again, I prefer dark chocolate, but if you like, milk chocolate works as well. White chocolate would also provide a nice contrast.
Just like Mutti's Kokosnuss-schnitten!
This recipe for Kokosnuss-schnitten mit Nüsse actually reminds me so much of one of Mutti's favorites. They were nut squares without the coconut. She always cut them into triangles and dipped two corners into chocolate. Since I really like coconut, this recipe seems like a great mix of the two!
Some more Tips ...
- Cutting them into squares is easier than forming cookies.
- If you wish, you can also substitute almonds or hazelnuts for the pecans.
- Use flaked coconut rather than shredded. This will make it easier to cut the bars neatly.
How to get Perfect Bars
In order to have perfect bar cookies,
- Line the baking pan
with foil in such a way that the foil hangs over the edges of the pan.
- Grease the foil
- After the coconut bars are baked and cooled, just
hold onto the edges of the foil and lift out of the pan.
- Remove the
foil, place onto a cutting board and cut the large square into small
bars, squares, or triangles.
Oma's Coconut Bar Recipe with Pecans
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream ½ cup brown sugar and butter.
- Slowly add 1 cup flour and mix.
- Pat evenly into greased 9" pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs. Add remaining 1 cup brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat.
- Fold in remaining 2 Tbsp flour, pecans, and coconut.
- Spread over crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 - 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into 1" X 2" bars.
- Use any combination of nuts such as hazelnuts, almonds, etc.
- Drizzle with chocolate or dip edges of bars into chocolate
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
This goulash soup is one of my most traditional German soups. It's one I often make when I have company coming over and need something easy to prepare ahead.
Go to the recipe
Schwenkbraten recipe that has been a delish hit an alle familien & freunde... Total Approx. Time: Prep: 15 min. + Marinating 8 hrs min. + Grill: 15 min.
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"Wise words are like deep waters; wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook."
Proverbs 18: 4 (NLT)