Oma's Chicken Rice Soup Recipe ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
FTC Disclosure: Making a purchase via a link on the page? I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!
I threw in a bag of frozen spinach for this potful. So yummy!
My homemade chicken rice soup recipe, aka Hühner-Reissuppe, is one you're sure to make often. Why? 'Cause it's so easy and so good. Make a huge batch when you've got a crowd to feed. Just add some fresh bread and you've a feast. Personally, I love to make a huge pot whenever I make this soup. Thankfully my hubby loves leftovers, so this way I have lunch for several days!
I'll even add extra stuff, like a can or two of diced tomatoes that turns this into a chicken rice vegetable soup!
Oma's Homemade Chicken Rice Soup Recipe❤️
- 2 - 2½ lb chicken pieces
- 12 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Vegeta (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 - 4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 - 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups brown rice
- Maggi (optional)
- salt, pepper
- Remove visible fat from chicken. Put into large soup pot and cover with water.
- Add Vegeta, bay leaves, and onion.
- If you are not using Vegeta, add about 2 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and rice.
- Bring to simmer, cover, and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Carefully remove the chicken pieces (to prevent them from falling apart and losing the bones in the soup).
- Continue cooking the soup until the rice is tender, about another 45 minutes. In the meantime, remove the meat from the chicken bones. Return the meat to the soup.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper, and Maggi.
- If you want to use white rice, your cooking time will only be about 20 minutes once you add it instead of the brown rice.
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
What makes these soups so wunderbar? They bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's kitchen. So, of course, I had to write my own soup e-cookbook to share with my grandchildren. I know you'll LOVE it, too! There are 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints. Take a quick peek ...
Sharing these soup recipes from my Mutti and Oma to my own young grandchildren ... that's such a delicious way to pass on our German heritage :)
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- I usually use chicken legs with backs attached ... the most economical cuts available in my area. Use whatever you wish.
- If you prefer, you can make a chicken stock first, strain the soup, and then continue.
- Season with curry powder.
- Add any other veggies you like. Spinach, kale, cauliflower ... all taste great.
- If you prefer to use white rice, the soup will cook a lot faster. In that case, just add the rice after about 40 minutes. Remove chicken as soon as it's cooked, and continue as above. White rice cooks in about 20 minutes, brown rice in about 45 minutes. Personally, I prefer brown rice because it's healthier.
I let the above soup cook just a bit longer so that the rice would swell more. The result? A more stew-like consistency. More filling. More like a meal than a soup. So so good!
Learn this easy way to how to make chicken soup and you'll make this often! When I make this soup, I usually just use what I have in the fridge.
Sometimes it's extra carrots, extra celery, perhaps some parsnips, perhaps some cauliflower. The amounts aren't exact nor do they need to be.
I love to buy chicken when it's on sale, freeze it, and then have it available to make homemade chicken soup whenever I need something quick to make.
This is one of those easy recipes using chicken.
The flavors in this soup have a German twist using Maggi and Vegeta. It's my way of continuing on with our culture and passing this one to my grandkids.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
* * * * *
PIN this to quickly find the recipe when you're getting out your soup pot to make Oma's German Chicken Rice Soup ...
Words to the Wise
"The fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."
Proverbs 1:7 (NLT)
Oma's Chicken Rice Soup
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
My homemade chicken rice soup recipe is one you're sure to make often. Why? 'Cause it's so easy and so good. Make a huge batch that'll feed a crowd. Or, just so you can enjoy leftovers.
65 minutes total time
Yield: 6 servings
For the full recipe, scroll up ...