Best Tuna Salad Recipe – Oma's Thunfischsalat
This post may contain affiliate links, which
means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra
cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
My best Tuna Salad recipe, aka Thunfischsalat, is so easy to make and great on German rye bread, fresh buns, or toast. Now, this isn't your ordinary tuna salad recipe -- you know, canned tuna with mayo.
No, it's much, much different.
Sure, you can take your canned tuna, which is a great staple to have in your cupboard. It's always ready to make up easily with mayonnaise for a basic tuna salad recipe.
However, want something a bit more special? Try this, my BEST tuna salad. Along with the mayonnaise, there's onions, pickles, and hard boiled eggs.
Seasoned with fresh lemon juice, it's a tuna salad sandwich like you've never had.
Need something special for a party buffet? This tuna salad looks great when it's put on a bed of lettuce. OR, serve it on crackers as an appetizer. Either way, it's an easy and delicious.
It'll be a tuna salad you'll make again and again. It's that good!
Tuna ... what to buy ... and why
- Now, not only is it delicious, but tuna is so healthy. Canned tuna is high in omega-3 fatty acids. It's also recommended that one should eat two meals a week of a variety of fish and/or shellfish that's low in mercury - including tuna.
- When you're buying canned tuna for salad, use the chunk or flaky kind. It creates a smoother textured salad. (If you were going to use it to add to pasta or dinners, then buy the solid kind.)
- Water-packed tuna has fewer calories and is milder tasting than the oil-packed kind. However, it you want really good flavored tuna, then choose tuna that's packed in olive oil.
Yep. Hummus. Sylvie, my daughter-in-law, shares that hummus is delicious with this quintessential German dish. Her easy hummus recipe is so quick to make and it's becoming wildly popular in Germany. Try it. I think you'll like it too!
Ready for amazing Tuna Salad?
Is the recipe below locked? Here's why.
Oma's Best Tuna Salad Recipe
My best Tuna Salad recipe, aka Thunfischsalat, is so easy to make and great on German rye bread, fresh buns, or toast. Now, this isn't your ordinary tuna salad recipe -- you know, canned tuna with mayo. No, it's much, much different.
Along with the mayonnaise, there's onions, pickles, and hard boiled eggs. Seasoned with fresh lemon juice, it's a tuna salad sandwich like you've never had.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cans tuna, drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 dill pickles, diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Mix everything together in a bowl.
- Spread thickly on buttered bread or buns.
- Don't have a fresh lemon? Use bottled lemon juice. About two to three tablespoons equals 1 lemon.
- I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge. That way I'm ready to quickly use them whenever I need.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Cooking just like Oma, making those German meals, is actually quite easy. Let me, Oma Gerhild, help you with my step-by-step methods to re-create those yummy meals you remember from your Oma.
Go to Recipe
If you're looking for tasty, traditional, and easy German cake recipes (in English) to try, then you've come to the right place! Check out these lecker treats!
Go to Recipe
Discover the ultimate German schnitzel recipe with Oma's quick and easy method - perfect for any occasion! Taste the authentic flavors of Germany today.
Go to Recipe
* * * * *
Best Tuna Salad Recipe made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Our best Tuna Salad recipe is so easy to make and great on German rye bread, fresh buns, or toast. What makes this one different than what you're used to? Check it out ...
hard boiled eggs,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing."
Proverbs 12:18 (NLT)