Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
This is the best oatmeal cookie recipe by far. I've tried lots of different ones. Even though some of the oatmeal recipes seem very similar, the final results are vastly different. On top of that, simple cookie recipes aren't always that simple. This, however, is an old-fashioned oatmeal cookie recipe that IS easy to make. With the added apricots, they aren't just typical - they're extra-ordinary!
For me, I love the chewiness that the apricots give. AND the extra flavor! Instead of apricots you can add chocolate chips and/or raisins as well. If you'd like, you can omit the almonds, or add more, or add other nuts as well. These easy-to-make cookies always get rave reviews when added to our Christmas cookie platters.
Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe with Apricots
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats, regular or quick-cooking
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Beat butter in large mixer bowl till softened.
- Add brown sugar and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and almond flavoring. Beat well.
- Mix flour and baking soda together and add to mixer bowl. Beat till well mixed.
- Stir in oats, apricots, and almonds.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or till done. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove and cool on cookie racks.
- Makes about 4 dozen.
- Use scissors to cut the apricots.
- Drizzle with chocolate icing. Either heat chocolate chips in microwave, put into plastic baggie. Snip corner and drizzle over cookies. The picture above shows these at the front of the plate.
- Drizzle with almond icing. Into 2 cups of icing sugar, stir in 1 tsp. almond flavoring and up to about 1 - 2 tbsp. water to drizzling consistency. Drizzle from spoon over cookies.
In fact, among my holiday baking recipes, these Haferflockenkekse are always a must. Above, I've drizzled dark chocolate over them. It adds another layer of flavour.
For variety, I'll put some white almond icing (see hints below the recipe) over half of the cookies.
Makes for an easy mix of cookies for the platters. That, together with all the different variations of chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, etc., makes this recipe one of my keepers!
Some more German Cookies
More German Recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Best Oatmeal Cookies
Words to the Wise
"The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness."
Proverbs 15:2 (NLT)