My Best Scalloped Potatoes ❤️
➤ by Oma Gerhild Fulson
These are the BEST scalloped potatoes you can make. Why? Because this is such an easy and fool-proof way to make them.
In German this is called "Kartoffelgratin" and is so German - it uses whipping cream, of course!
And, that makes it gluten-free! No, this isn't the low-fat way to eat potatoes, but my recipe for scalloped potatoes is among the most delicious.
My method works all the time. It's great for first-time chefs because it's so delicious AND easy! What a great way to eat German potatoes, German-style!
Why my dish is so easy ...
- If you've made scalloped potatoes before, you know the mess
'the flour and milk method' makes - when it boils out of the baking
dish all over the oven or is still watery when you serve (or worse, yet,
lumpy!). That doesn't happen with this method!
- The best part of this dish? Why, it's the top crust, of course. That's why I always use a fairly large dish, so the potato layer is not too thick and there's a large top surface. Make sure you grease the dish well.
- If you have really new potatoes, you can always leave the skin on. That does make it healthier. Just wash the potatoes really well!
Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
These are the BEST scalloped potatoes you can make. Why? Because this is such an easy and fool-proof way to make them. In German this is called "Kartoffelgratin" and is so German - it uses whipping cream, of course!
And, that makes it gluten-free! No, this isn't the low-fat way to eat potatoes, but it is most delicious.
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 5 - 6 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 - 2½ cups whipping cream
- 1 - 2 cups grated cheese, preferably Emmentaler (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease casserole dish (a larger shallow dish is better than a deep one - there's more crust to enjoy!)
- Place separated potato slices in the dish in rows, as if you were shingling a roof, by overlapping rows. Once your dish is almost full, push the rows back so that they are almost vertical against the back of the dish. Now keep adding rows of potato slices, pushing back as the dish is filling. (Your rows will almost be vertical in the end.)
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour whipping cream over the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 60 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and continue baking for about another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is nicely browned.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or marjoram.
- You can add 1 sliced red onion to the potatoes if you wish.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
Want Nutritional Information?
Copy and paste the above ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count for an approximate calculation.
Need Help Doing Conversions?
Make it easier to convert between cups and grams, etc. Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Have Oma by your side ... helping you
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
Need help doing conversions
between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.
PIN this ...
This German sourdough whole grain no knead bread recipe is so delicious and so healthy. Learn this basic method and then alter it to suit your needs. Healthy never tasted this good!
Go to the recipe
Want a Rhubarb Cake recipe that tastes just like Oma's? Not too sweet, but wunderbar? Try my Rhubarb Streusel Cake that's super quick and easy to make.
Go to the recipe
Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe ❤️
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
These are the BEST scalloped potatoes you can make because this is such an easy and foolproof way to make them. Not only that, but they are Gluten Free, using whipping cream to thicken!
2 hours total time
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
Ingredients: 6 lb potatoes,
2.5 cups whipping cream,
2 cups cheese,
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored."
Proverbs 13:18 (NLT)