My German Sausage Recipes
➤ by Gerhild Fulson
Scroll for info about this recipe or ...
Traditional German sausage recipes don't sound healthy. However, you can control what is in them - the amount of fat and filler. Then, you can enjoy the great taste of delicious sausages as part of your healthy quick recipes collection. Make sure to keep reading below the recipe for more information.
If you purchased German sausages, then you'll want to check out how to cook those Bratwurst. However, if you'd rather make your own sausage, here's a recipe for sausage patties that's easy.
Sausage Patty making tips ...
Sausage patties are just hamburger patties, made slightly different, with different spices. If you can make hamburger patties, you can make sausage patties.
When you mix the meat - literally knead it to mix the spices and give the sausage texture. (Different than making hamburgers, which are gently mixed).
If at all possible, let mixture stand for about 6 hours for the spices to fully flavour the meat. However, I've been in a hurry and BBQ'd them right away.
I don't stuff these inside of casings. Did you know casings are made from either pork or cow intestines or from plastic? So, I just make these as patties, since it's faster as well.
Ready to make your own sausage patties?
Is the recipe below locked? Here's why. Unlock to see ALL the exclusive recipes on this site. Click here for help.
➤ As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
My Homemade Sausage Patties
Traditional German sausage often don't sound healthy. However, if you can control what is in them - the amount of fat and filler - you can make them healthier.. Then, you can enjoy the great taste of delicious sausages.
Serve these with some German potato salad on the side ... and don't forget the mustard.
10 minutes + 6 hr wait
20 minutes + 6 hr wait
Makes 12 servings
- 2 - 3 pounds meat (beef, pork, and/or veal, see hints below)
- ½ cup rolled oats, uncooked
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon each: sage, pepper, thyme, savory
- Mix all ingredients together WELL! Literally knead the meat to distribute the spices.
- Cover airtight and refrigerate for about 6 hours (OR use right away - I usually do 'cause I can't wait!).
- Divide into 12 sections and form into patties.
- Pan fry over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side, until cooked. If your patties are fairly thick, you need to cook them longer - covering them for some of the time will make them cook quicker.
- Other spices to try are: marjoram, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, allspice. Experiment and have fun! This is how you can change these into different German Sausage Recipes - only available at your house!
- To pre-taste the meat before frying, make a small ½ to 1-inch "meatball" and cook on "HI" in the microwave for about 30 to 60 seconds, until done. Although the texture will be tough, you will be able to check the seasonings and if you need to alter any.
- For the rolled oats, you can use either quick or old-fashioned (which are healthier). You can also increase the amount to 1 cup, but then increase the water to ½ cup.
- I usually use a mixture of equal parts of beef, pork, and veal. Try using just pork, or beef and pork. If you like them hot, just add more red pepper flakes - or omit them altogether. You've really created a variety of German sausage recipes and can make them kid friendly dinner recipes by satisfying their tastes (and the oats makes it extra healthy.)
- Mustard and potato salad on the side are musts!
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
There’s something absolutely mouth-watering about having a German meat-and-potato dinner. Get Oma's revised collection of her favorites in German Meat Dishes.
Take a peek at all Oma's eCookbooks. They make sharing your German heritage a delicious adventure!
Follow Oma on Social Media:
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
Discover the history behind the German Apple Pancake recipe, aka Apfelpfannkuchen. Quick, very easy, and wunderbar! Get Oma's delicious recipe here.
Go to the recipe
I loved to wander thru Trier in the winter evenings when all was quiet. Usually, on Friday nights around Christmas, there would be a small band playing
Go to the recipe
Go to the recipe
* * * * *
German Sausage Recipes made Just like Oma
By Oma Gerhild Fulson
Tasty German sausage recipes that you can make as quickly and healthy as you want, from fresh meat that you choose. You choose the flavors you like best.
Ingredients: meat (beef, pork and/or veal),
For the full recipe, scroll up ...
Words to the Wise
"To acquire wisdom is to love oneself; people who cherish understanding will prosper."
Proverbs 19:8 (NLT)